Larry Bird remembers when players that later went bankrupt made fun of him for saving his money

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Chinatown, Nov 1, 2022.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    This is very true nowadays. A lot of the “old school” NBA players (Michael Jordan,Karl Malone,just to name a couple of examples)diversified and invested their money into various ventures,knowing they would need a backup plan in case their time in NBA would be cut short.
    Even if you have multi million dollar endorsement deals you have to plan for the future.
    I know Karl Malone has a Ford dealership off of I-80 in Park City,Utah that’s probably going to be busy selling pickups and SUVs with winter around the corner.
    “The Mailman” certainly isn’t hurting!
    A lot of these younger guys don’t get it,the good times aren’t going to last. And you need to prepare.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    any sports player, that thinks he is going to play forever, had better come to the all too real fact of life, that 1 injury can disable that person for life.

to flagrantly piss away money on whatever, and not save or invest, then they get what they deserve.

a future of living life in the housing projects

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Same with trucking; drivers are only one DOT Physical away from being unemployed.

5. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Exactly.

6. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    and all the old rock and roll stars that died broke.

7. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Ain’t it the truth. A month ago I had a close scare when I got fitted for a new set of glasses. Ophthalmologist did a 3D scan of my right eye and found holes in some of the tissue,meaning I close to having a retina detachment! He referred me to a surgeon who did same day laser surgery that repaired the damage. I have a follow up appointment tomorrow!

Boondock, Chinatown, RJM1953 and 2 others Thank this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Similar happened to me. Something wrong with my left eye. The left side of our face, plus the left eye is on the drivers side window, catching the sun. That damaged my left eye and the doctor had to remove a portion of the retina and replace it. The sun damaged retina could have eventually been cancerous. Might have ruined my trucking career.

Boondock and mjd4277 Thank this.
  9. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Update: ophthalmologist give me a clean bill of health. Won’t need to see him until next year!
    The driving saga continues!!:cool:

Speed_Drums and Boondock Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.