Launching Out as New Owner Operator

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by IDeleva, Oct 17, 2018.

1. IDeleva

IDeleva Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2017
    I’ve been a company driver now going on 2 yrs. I’ve seen the pros and the cons discussed and i’d like to launch out on my own but of course there’s some intrepidation launching out in the blue so I have a few questions:

Let’s say I buy a used truck for $50k, how much more $ would I need, to get it ready for my first run on the road and what is a list of those things that need to be done/had/get? I. The state of NY... or is there a website you can point me to? Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Impossible to answer, you can waste $50k on junk.

you don't buy a truck like you buy a car or a pickup. It is a tool so selecting it starts with the question - what are you going to be hauling?

Then you look for the specs on a truck that fits that need.

THEN you start hunting around for it.

At the same time, you get your finance end of things started, lawyer is a good tool, accountant is needed to help you determine where the money goes when you make it.

BUT then when you find a few trucks, you pick out a couple and then check them out.

YOU do your Due Diligence on them and decide based on that what's going to be the best for you.

This is all about reducing the risk of breakdown and putting in too much money to make money.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  4. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    It can be 10k or 50k, who knows

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  5. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Look at OOIDA web site if you cant find everything you need on this web site search bar at top right of this page

6. IDeleva

IDeleva Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Ridgeline, maybe I asked the wrong question or threw you off when I said how much to ”get ready” but let’s say I inherited a Freightliner truck that is mechanically fit and ready to run and I wanted to haul dry van.. I’m sure I’ll need insurance, and registration but what else would one need to be on the road. For example the truck I drive has a book with a bunch of permits; how are they acquired ; special license, taxes to be paid etc...

7. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I can't remember the name of the thread right now but somebody recently went over all of this. You'll first need to get insurance, then apply for your authority (MC/DOT#). That will get you started. There are a million little things that have to do with taxes, registration, etc. but get your insurance and get your authority started first because it takes a few weeks to get your authority.

Make sure you have a good emergency fund before you go down this road! I set aside $30k not including truck purchase. It comes back quickly if you don't have any major truck maintenance for awhile.

Good luck!

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Again, even if you inherit the truck, treat it as a tool, do your due diligence first, focus on the fact that it isn't ready to run.

All the other stuff others will answer.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That's a good website, www.OOIDA.com

10. Aces-N-Eights

Aces-N-Eights Light Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Mobile, AL
    Check my previous postings about startup expenses. Good advice was given about determining your work then buy a truck based on needs. Good luck driver!!

11. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    How much do you have saved now?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.