Laws against driver coercion usc 49 14103

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by bertita1986, Sep 18, 2018.

1. bertita1986

bertita1986 Light Load Member

Sep 30, 2017
    A security guard working the gate where I delivered today, actually hinted that I should file a formal complaint against the consignee for driver coercion and breach of contract under usc 49 14103

He said he's a former truck driver and said that filing these sorts of complaints against shippers and receivers is "our only way to fight back"

I only asked him about an ETA for getting a dock, and he just out of the blue suggested I file a formal complaint against the consignee through the FMCSA website. I wasn't even complaining to him, so it was kind of funny to me that he suggested such a thing.

The jist is that I showed up 15 minutes before my appt time, was told to leave the premises and wait for a phone call. They finally gave me a dock assignment 2.5hrs after my appointment time. Then they told me to drop and hook. It took me longer than usual to drop my trailer because the 5th wheel release wasn't working.
    Meanwhile the workers were just standing at the dock yelling at me, shooing me away while gesturing with their hands while I struggled to get the release arm to stay out.

I was thinking to myself "These people make me wait 2.5 hours past my appointment time, and they can't even wait 10 minutes for me when I'm having truck problems.

Anyway I told my company about the experience, but does anyone have experience with what the security guard suggested?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Sounds like he has an axe to grind with his employer. Definitely more to the story.

4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    What law did they try and coerce you to break? Being rude isn't illegal....

snowlauncher, Grumppy and Puppage Thank this.
  5. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I agree, there is no coercion based on the information you provided.
    Coercion is when (someone) convinces/requires/threatens you to do something illegal (against FMCSA rules).

snowlauncher, x1Heavy and Lepton1 Thank this.
  6. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Coercion because dock workers are jerks? If that was the case I'd need to order a case of those documents to fill out.

7. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    You know that saying of when you see something wrong say something?

8. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Unless they say you have to drive when your out of hours or break some safety law. They have nothing to do with that. They are only unloading the trailer.

snowlauncher and Lepton1 Thank this.
  9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Taking legal advice from a security guard wouldn't be my first choice.

spindrift Thanks this.
  10. scorpiorias

scorpiorias Light Load Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    IN A NUT SHELL, ALL BEING ASKED HERE IS IF THERE IS A LEGAL RECOURSE TO WHAT THE WRITER PERCIEVED AS "CRIMINAL" OR AT THE VERY LEAST UNACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOR IN A BUSINESS ENVIRONMENT. THATS ALL! UNFORTUNATELY EVERYONE AND THEIR MOTHER GRABED A PITCH FORK AND READY TO BURN AT THE STAKE.

11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    WHATS WITH THE YELLING?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.