Layoffs

Discussion in 'PAM' started by VIDEODROME, Jan 22, 2009.

1. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    I still have my job but apparently there are some cut backs at PAM. My trainer called and said his current student was let go and the previous one passed but will not get a truck. They aren't sending him anyone else so now he's a regular solo driver now. If things don't pick up he's going to quit even though he'll miss the auto shifter.

memphisjon, panhandlepat and Baack Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    was talking to 2 PAM drivers a few weeks ago on CB one had sat for 6 DAYS waiting for a load the other was about to sit all weekend for one (we were in FL.)

4. truckerwifey

truckerwifey Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Central Ohio
    DH (Decker driver) heard a rumor that something like 70 PAM drivers have been laid off in the last week or so.. A PAM driver who'd brought him home after training called him and told him he was "laid off" (with layover pay) until further notice. The guy's still home since Christmas and he's been a PAM driver for over a year..

5. VIDEODROME

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    Well I still have my job and my truck but I've been sitting here in Pennsylvania wondering if I'll be here all weekend.

6. INDYTRUCKER

INDYTRUCKER Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have been driving for decker for about 9 months and I too have heard the rumours about layoff's.150 or so drivers cut loose.I know all about sitting around waiting for loads as I sat all last weekend,got sent to pick up loads that had already been picked up bla,bla,bla.I think pam,decker ect.. are hanging on by a thread although they did pick up a new customer in budwiser/busch beer but having GM shut down so long hurt them pretty bad.My miles have been crappy at best lately but the way things are right now with the rotton job market,I'm lucky to have this job.I just hope things pick up by spring.

7. VIDEODROME

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    Yeah right now I'm in Carlisle,PA and have a dispatch to pick up in Lancaster, PA but the pick up isn't scheduled till Monday morning. Tried calling them to see if there is an early pick up but no answer. Maybe I'll just drive down early anyway and find out if I can get rolling. Delivery is in Georgia so it would be nice to head south to.

8. djtrype

djtrype Heavy Load Member

Jan 3, 2009
    New Orleans
    According to the info I received, which who knows how accurate it is, but there were 150 drivers and about 50 personnel within PAM itself and not its subsidiaries that were laid off or let go. AFS, Decker, CEX and TTX weren't affected from what I've read and heard. Also these layoffs occurred between Thanksgiving and the New Year. I've also heard rumours circulating that another, but yet lesser, round of layoffs may be happening if freight doesn't pick up by the end of February.

9. nascarchuck

nascarchuck Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2008
    DFW, TX
    I got an email today stating that PAM was hiring drivers... :smt102

10. cbHank22

cbHank22 Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2009
    South Bend, IN
    Yep...I saw the same thing posted on a web site just today:
    That is just one of several, all posted within the last week.

11. gearjammer-2000

gearjammer-2000 <strong>Clutch User</strong>

Dec 18, 2007
    columbus Ohio
    sounds like a lot of out with the old and in with the new [at a lower pay of course]

the trucking companies are seeing this as the time to get rid of the drivers that know what truckers should be making and putting in their place new drivers that don't know any better and therefore think they are making good money.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.