LCV/Turnpike Companies worth working for as an O/O

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by BigHossVolvo, Apr 27, 2019.

1. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Well guys, starting to think about the next step. Since steps seem to take 1-2 years to happen these days, I figured I would start working on it now.

So if you were an O/O (or are an O/O) out west (I'm in Calgary) and were going to do Solo LCV/Turnpike, who would you go with?

I live really close to the big Day and Ross terminal in NE Calgary, but know nothing about them. But I see about 3-4 sets an hour, heading down Mc Knight to the ring road so; they sure are busy.

I don't know if I could choke down going back to Bison to do LCV, I really don't (same goes for TransX).

Orlick's is a no go, I met the owner once, what a psychopath!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I thought you did pretty good with the LTL work? Or is it slow for you as well out there? (I've been home since April 9).

I bet that lcv work is by the mile and hardly worth it. Like most full load trucking out there. Probably 1.60 to pull 2x53', hard on truck and fuel economy probably run 1.00 per mile in fuel alone.

magoo68 and BigHossVolvo Thank this.
  4. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Things are going good, there has been some slowdown, but nothing major (1/2 day wait on reload, some 1 delivery+300 mile days, no complaints). Can't say enough good things about where i'm at, maybe I should just shutup and be happy!

Just something I was thinking about lately, being home more, being more physical, less miles, more backing and actual work lol.

I mentioned this over dinner with the family tonight, and they all said its a bad idea. Like you said, low pay, high fuel costs, hard on ####, no where to stop (Med hat Pilot and Balgonie SK are the only real decent stops) #### roads, Bison, Day and Ross, TransX, Rig all pounding the LCV lanes to death.

I've been averaging 1.62/mile w/fuel, and my work/pick/drops/wait time is all $60/hr, so I doubt I could even get that LCV. I'm seeing like $10bux to build and break a set.

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  5. Cookiedeluxe

Cookiedeluxe Bobtail Member

Jan 28, 2015
    Did you look into Penner International? They are based in Steinbach MB but have a terminal in Calgary. I don’t have any personal experience with them, but a good friend of mine drives turnpikes for them as an O/O out of Calgary and is pretty happy.

jimbo47, upnorthwpg and BigHossVolvo Thank this.
  6. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    That's a good suggestion, see Penner all the time, will definitely keep them in mind.

I was texting with my company's owner after dinner, and he said he wants turnpikes in 2-3 years for sure. So I might be in luck! lol.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Two loaded 53's whew.

Ive been around them two 48's here in the NYThruway and they are awesome. This was back when everything was unlimited in engine output, speed and so on. Unlike the 61 mph governed rigs of today.

Im going to tell you want to use big horse engines nothing less than 550. And it has to be ungoverned and able to breathe to handle your shifts with those two trailers back there. Maybe 70 ton. if not a little more. Your fuel will be your number one expense.

At the same time It's a very nice run if you can get it in good weather. Ive been tempted to go up to NY state and try it. It's just me. But life isnt like that usually.

It's going to be expensive. I hope you get the good rates you need to do this. Or just walk away and leave it to those who are not doing well.

8. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Penner is very well respected here.

jimbo47 and BigHossVolvo Thank this.
  9. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Yea, i got turnpike Qualified at Bison (then never got any pike runs), so I know what’s involved, and my truck can do it, just no idea what places are paying O/Os to do it. (Or if they treat them worth ####).

Penner and Trans Frt Macnama are my first 2 choices, but I’m gonna see if my companies Turnpike division materializes.

10. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Not sure about nowadays but I had a few friends who went through a bunch of turnpike companies and all 3 went back to single trailers .. your biggest expense will be fuel so if going that way the fuel price to you will be the deciding factor on whether you make money or not..also some companies that pull reefer are pushing max weights often where someone such as penner May pull lighter loads and have lower fuel costs overall fighting the prairie winds

BigHossVolvo Thanks this.
  11. Snow Monster

Snow Monster Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2019
    I see a lot of Kindersley trucks pulling LCV's, don't know much about them, but might be worth a phone call or visit to see what they're like.
    Maybe give Safeway a shout, see if they still hire owner operators or if they farm the work out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.