LCV/Turnpike Companies worth working for as an O/O

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by BigHossVolvo, Apr 27, 2019.

1. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Yep, recently talked to another OTR LTL company for ####s and giggles. They said I could make 40k/yr more there over what I’m making, but the BS and Micromanagment to get it, no ####in thanks!

Resuming my turnpike research, OTR is starting to go to #### fast, even LTL and with my awesome outfit. Not their fault, just the way the border/industry is going. Just the parking issues at truck stops and rest areas alone, is enough to drive a guy crazy.

So far, good LCV outfits for O/Os are Penner, Gardewine, Rosedale Group maybe Payne.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Parking is a non issue. See them on the side of the road every night.

BigHossVolvo Thanks this.
  4. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    That’s the funny part, there are more places to park pikes, than a single truck/trailer in most cities these days. Esp Toronto/Vancouver, the entire US.

5. Oso

Oso Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2010
    What kind of LTL do you do? Terminal to terminal, or a long-haul milk-run to various customers? How far do you go?

6. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Long Haul OTR, Mostly the Lower 48 in the US, with some Canadian deliveries if I need to re-position East or West to go south.

Alot of our work, is construction materials, so I do a lot of Gas Station or Condo Building construction site deliveries. Also do lots of 2 pallet dry freight deliveries. Sometimes get into industrial machinery/richie brothers stuff.

We also do FLT, scrap metal, batteries for recycling, food stuffs, old dutch, frito lay, insulation, building materials, Rona, Lowes, general dry freight.

Oso Thanks this.
  7. Oso

Oso Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2010
    It sounds like it could be interesting. As always, the devil is in the details!

BigHossVolvo Thanks this.
  8. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Its definitely interesting, when I say we go everywhere; I mean literally EVERYWHERE. 46 states and most of the provinces in one year, the smallest towns to the biggest factories to downtown NYC/LA and back again lol. I would honestly be bored to tears, doing triangles or pin to pin FTL now. The money is good, less miles, more pay with all the stops. Easy to get hung-up and lose miles tho, however we have lots of hourly and event pay to make up for it. When the economy and rates are better, this would be a killer job on percentage.

9. Oso

Oso Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2010
    That sounds like it could be a dream gig. Tandem work? Heavy or light? If they're not beating you to death and the money is decent, stick with it. Good trucking jobs are very hard to find. Just my 2c.

Northerntanker and BigHossVolvo Thank this.
  10. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Yea Tandem, usually light as hell, sometimes heavy with foodstuffs/paper or scrap but rare. It is a really good gig, but we're running out of work, Bison is trying to stomp us into the ground. They sure are, if this place goes under, i'm gonna try CANEDA, if that sucks, i'm selling my #### and taking up crime.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Phantom Trucker and gokiddogo Thank this.
  11. Oso

Oso Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2010
    How badly has Bison hurt you guys?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.