Leaking Radiator on 04 Freightliner Columbia Detroit 14L

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Felix773, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Felix773

Felix773 Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2017
    Chicago
    Okay guys so I'm having a weird issue with my tractor. A few weeks ago I started noticing a tiny trickle of coolant leaking from a plastic cover under my radiator. I have notice that when my temp on my water goes to 200 it begins to leak and anything under it doesn't leak at all. Now the small trickle is a few drops and makes a puddle. Can this be a bad thermostat or a bad radiator? I'm currenlty putting in a gallon of coolant a day now. Need help!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    If you can't see the leak clearly, we can't either. Pay a shop 1/2 hr. labor and have it pressure tested if you don't have a tester.. If you have the repair done at that shop, they will eat the diagnosis fee. C'mon fellas, common sense here!

Felix773 Thanks this.
  4. Felix773

Felix773 Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2017
    Chicago
    Ohhhh I see the leak lol. I know it doesn't leak when I'm running on the highway because coolant is being cooled by the wind flowing thru the radiator. The problem is when I am in the inner city with stop and go traffic the temperature climbs higher than 200 and that's when the leaking begins. I am asking around because I currently am running low on cash and don't want to buy a new radiator when it can be just be the thermostat or something else. The shop will want to replace everything when it can be a simple fix.

5. Verdel

Verdel Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2013
    Common problem with now days plastic tanks radiators. The seal on your bottom tank is too old, cracked, just bring your tractor to a good radiator shop and they will be able to fix it, for about $250-300. The new OEM radiator is "Behr" around $1100. Don't put any 3rd party - the engine will run hot.

Felix773 Thanks this.
  6. Felix773

Felix773 Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2017
    Chicago
    Thanks I will look for a radiator repair shop.

7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Well the thermostats are nowhere near the radiator so I'd say its likely not the t-stats.

Maybe a leaking hose/loose hose clamp? If not, more than likely its the rad. Only way to know is to find the source of the leak.

8. Felix773

Felix773 Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2017
    Chicago
    Ok but why won't it leak at low temps and only leaks when temp goes over 200. I checked it and anything under 190 it does not leak at all.

9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Heat expands material. If there's a small crack it might expand when the temperature increases. Same as in extreme cold. Seals shrink and fluids escape.

10. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I had a plastic radiator top that would open up when hot when pulling a hill. Then on flat land or engine was in normal temp it would seal back up. That was on a 2000 Volvo but it was just the old plastic radiator was old and heat finally got to it.

Felix773 Thanks this.
  11. Felix773

Felix773 Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2017
    Chicago
    That's pretty neat lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.