Learn to say NO

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Joethemechanic, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Joethemechanic

Joethemechanic Medium Load Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Phila Pa
    Burky's last post brought this to mind. Shippers, receivers dispatchers, and God knows who else are going to ask you to do screwed up unsafe stuff. It could be running too fast, over hours, backing into a bad place, backing blind into traffic, hauling something improperly loaded, too heavy, or whatever. You have to learn to say no and mean it.

While not a typical truck accident. The pictures below are something I said no to. It was about a year and a half ago and I was operating a boom truck. I knew what they wanted me to do was unsafe. I said no way. It almost got to fists. So anyway this is what happened when the guy who wouldn't say no attempted to make the lift.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. juanveldez

juanveldez Light Load Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Iron Mountian MI
    I sure hope no one was in any of those cars, yeah definatly have to say no, I had a dispatcher always wanted me to take an extra load everyday usually a paper load that he had scheduled and couldn't get a driver for, so after working for 10 hours that day he would want me to work another 10 for one load. not a chance. it ended up being that I started by turning off my cell phone and doing my logs in the truck but even then he would come out into the yard and ask so I would un hook and go behind some of the bark piles that worked till the guys that worked after I got done started to nark on me.

4. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    That last photo there is hard to look at!:biggrin_2556:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.