Lease option

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by j and j trucking, Dec 3, 2016.

1. j and j trucking

j and j trucking Bobtail Member

Dec 14, 2015
    Im told few make lease work,looking for answers from those who have made it work.Please advise,much appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Only about 15% make it in a lease program. Now also Cypress seems to be a better lease company. Also around a 10k nest egg should be around so if something happens with the truck a slow time of year like now etc.

j and j trucking Thanks this.
  4. albert l

albert l Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2013
    On the Road
    Is the search button not working ?

5. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
  6. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Well, this will be a short thread... :rolleyes:

7. BoyWander

BoyWander Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    How many do you think make it in a LP that is not offered by a carrier?

MidWest_MacDaddy Thanks this.
  8. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    That is a VERY good point... if the "business model" is only offered by the carriers then that tells you that the only party that the L/P works for is the carrier.

Their in the business of leasing equipment... if you fail they still win because they just repeat the process with another driver.

So it's a Win/Win... for THEM!!!

railroadertrucking Thanks this.
  9. Ubu

Ubu Road Train Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Rumored to be somewhere
    MidWest_MacDaddy Thanks this.
  10. MOGLAR

MOGLAR Heavy Load Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Kansas City , MO
    I will make it easy for you. Don't do it!!!!!

However, if you are talking about a PAC leasing program from Kenworth or Peterbilt....that is totally different and worth doing depending on your operation.

However.....if you are talking about a fleece purchase with a carrier or some of the chameleon style leasing companies that are actually owned by the carrier(s) ......don't do it!!:violent1:

I want to point out that they did not make anything work. The carrier runs the show and will determine who they will allow to "make it." it's a real medicine show act. It's like the fairways games you see at a carnival. They will allow only so many to win so they can bait 100 other suckers. Get the point.

railroadertrucking Thanks this.
  11. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    What all these wonderful forum memebers don't tell you is that the guys that come on here complaining about failing at a lease program from a carrier weren't in a financial position to do that. They jumped into a BUSINESS not ready or have the understanding of running a business. All they see is the "HUGE" paychcek they should get each week and all the hometime they can take.

So, the question you really should be asking yourself is, are you ready to run a business? Do you have enough money saved up to get you through 3 months of slow or no freight? Do you understand enough about basic accounting so you don't have to pay someone to do your books and to tell you if and how profitable your business is?

Driving the truck is the easy part. It's the running the business part that most of these failed leas drivers have problems with. I am in a lease with my truck. I have just about 1 year left on a 3 year lease. During the 2 years I was able to pay off $80k in debt, save $13k as of this week and expet to save another $50k by the time my lease is up. Right now I am on track for that and when the lease is up, I'll turn this truck back and order a brand new 2018 that I'll do a lease purchase on instead of this lease/rental I'm in now.

When I look at the numbers of the drivers that walk away and fail each week at this carrier I am at, I know that that 15% success rate is wrong. It's consistantly around 10-15% failure rate for drivers that leave without finishing the lease because they ran there business into the ground. Like any business, it takes a lot of time and dedication to be successful, ask any entrepnuer out there how hard they had to work the first few years of starting there business. That's any business, not just trucking.

Good luck to you and your new business if you decied to start a new business.

railroadertrucking and Iggly Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.