Lease to Someone or get authority and go for it?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by ExtendedHoodPete, Mar 10, 2017.

1. ExtendedHoodPete

ExtendedHoodPete Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Im about to start pulling for commerce as an O/O. I've been driving farm trucks pulling freight since I was 17( 21 now) so I know how to drive and have even put in some time working for a big freight company in the yard learning how to drive and back since I was 18. I'm the 4th generation driver in my family so I know what to expect and how most of this game plays out but I'm stuck right now between the question of should I try to find someone to lease me on (NOT a lease/purchase) or should I just go for broke and apply for my DOT and MC? I have a handful of good friends who are successful owner operators and even my best friend recently got his MC so I know the cost to all of this and know how to apply and what to expect.

My main question here is, should I lease a truck to someone or should I just get my MC and go for broke with load boards and a few brokers? Being 21 it's harder to find a decent company to lease to. I would really like to work my way into pulling oversize and overweight so I figure flatbed would be the best way to go to start with but don't have very much flatbed experience other than pulling equipment and hay occasionally under farm tags before I had a class A. I had thought about Malone but have since changed my mind after reading about all of the horror stories.

I don't expect to make a gold mine at first, just asking to make enough to be able to comfortably afford the truck and trailer. I have a very high credit score so I can get pretty much whatever equipment I want and will have about 10k in the bank for a down payment/expense. Would be looking at buying an 01-05 Pete. The farm trucks are trucks I have owned so I know some of the expense aspect. Tires/fuel/insurance/parts/maintenance/chrome(lol)/etc. Have a perfect record, no accidents or tickets at all.

I'm in OK and would prefer to run Midwest/west but would take anything that paid. Not too keen on running the NE but I'll follow the dollar.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bigrayon

Bigrayon Road Train Member

Aug 16, 2015
    Lol why come here, why not ask your best friend, are one of your family man stop dude you got it all together so hit the road are go for broke good luck

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If you plan to run California, you need a CARB compliant truck.

OLDSKOOLERnWV Thanks this.
  5. Robert85006

Robert85006 Medium Load Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Southwest USA
    Being an O/O isn't really about driving, it's about operating a business. The driving aspect is secondary. A reasonable and prudent business professional doesn't make business decisions based on what they have heard, rather, what they have experienced. Since your thread mentions you need to re-work your business decision making ability, perhaps you should lease on with a carrier and spend some time learning how to successfully operate a trucking business. Once you have a firm grasp on what it takes to operate, THEN go ou and be a success. Lord knows there are thousands of failed O/O's out there, why be another statistic?

forward Thanks this.
  6. spax

spax Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    No you dont. They're so broke they don't enforce squat. Dudes run in and out of there every day with older trucks.

7. chato

chato Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2017
    Just make wise decisions youll be alright just know how rate are before getting a load brokers know when you are new and will underrate you easy!

8. larry2903

larry2903 Heavy Load Member

Oct 18, 2009
    On the trails
    I think insurance is going to be an issue for you under your own authority, cargo and liability.

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I don't doubt what your saying. That's a personal decision a driver makes. I spent most of my career pushing the limits running two logs, dodging scales, poppin' stay-awake pills,etc. but wouldn't do it these days. If other drivers want to keep doing it, that's fine with me; that's their choice.

DDlighttruck and OLDSKOOLERnWV Thank this.
  10. spax

spax Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    Dang you sound like a fun guy back in the day.....cept for the stay awake pills! Chemically altering my body is next level outlaw......I stay in the shallow end of the pool.

11. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Know how to drive where? In the yard ? Your best off working for a company for a few years first unless your super rich? In most cases drivers do not have the finance to buy their own truck as this is considered a high risk loan, thats why they get into leases. Personally i'd stick with being a company driver you'll have alot less worries.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.