Lease trainer at CRST. The details

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Peanutbutteronsteak, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    CRST- Certified Rebuilt Schneider Truck

Is your truck Orange?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    First, no one is bashing you. I am saying I don't believe those are realistic net revenue numbers. If you click on either of the links I provided you will see where I am getting my baseline from.

I am also saying that having a guy making 12 cpm teaming your truck for 3 weeks is unethical . Once the trainer is no longer watching every move the trainee makes, training is over and they should be earning entry level wages.

4. Peanutbutteronsteak

Peanutbutteronsteak Bobtail Member

Apr 21, 2019
    I just took a bunch of time off, I posted my last 3 statements. Blurred everything out besides my net and CRST. Threw in some other numbers too. Main thing is after all deductions which is last number.
    We get paid twice per week, (or once if we don't send in paperwork immediately)

You'll see end number average per week right around what I mentioned earlier in first post. Around $11,500 after 3 weeks after costs.

Also, never said students earn .12 a mile, I said CRST charges me .12 a mile to have a student in the truck.

PhotoEditor_20190423_174125339.jpg PhotoEditor_20190423_174408247.jpg PhotoEditor_20190423_175656165.jpg PhotoEditor_20190423_175909946.jpg PhotoEditor_20190423_181641465.jpg

gentleroger Thanks this.
  5. gentleroger

Jun 1, 2010
    Thanks for posting the settlements. I think you blurred out too much (personal info and customer info sure, but lets see the breakdown), but its more than some would do.

Understand that you created an account on Sunday and posted numbers that are FAR outside the industry wide norm for a company that is NOTORIOUS for low pay. You are advocating for lease purchase. Those are HUGE red flags for most long term members here. I wish you continued success.

6. Peanutbutteronsteak

Peanutbutteronsteak Bobtail Member

Apr 21, 2019
    You're welcome.
    I am not posting personal information or specifics on CRST customers and what they pay, that can get me into trouble.
    I'm not advocating, I posted both good and bad.
    Do understand most leasing and especially leasing onto a mega carrier you will only earn slave wages so I get the disbelief.
    Leasing on % and training I think is a different story though, saw Prime lease trainers do well also.

Last part of other thing you brought up..
    Students start off earning the same in a trainer's truck as when they get their own truck with a codriver. The pay for them is the same regardless. So to them makes no difference to rush off the truck, pay would be the same and would be teaming anyway.

7. Truckwithchris

Truckwithchris Bobtail Member

Apr 25, 2019
    So I currently have the choice to go to orientation for expedite or STI, for a crst lease purchase. From what I read the net income is great with expedite but I can’t find much on sti. Is the training and miles worth not taking lower miles plus extras?

8. Atmos Ace

Atmos Ace Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2019
    I don’t understand the bashing and disbelief in regard to the OP, especially from these so called “long time members” Almost every competent lease-trainer at every mega carrier nets similar numbers. I’m a team driver for a FedEx contractor and we consistently drive over 1200 miles a day. We could average 700 in reverse.

When I was a trainee at Swift, we did what my mentor referred to as super-solo. Ran the truck from 6am - 12am. Very easily averaged 5K+ miles a week and I learned a lot from him. I’d drive 9-9 or 8-8. He’d get up at 6am and get us down the road a bit, stay up with me for a couple hours and then let me jam down the interstate. Then he’d drive a couple hours at night. He kept the curtains open and always was there when I needed him. Had a few days where we’d spend several hours backing. Many of his prior students called him to check in while he was training me and we still talk every week.

I saw his settlements were $3K+ like clockwork. He has a 660 studio sleeper and just paid it off and then did an in-frame. Now his settlements are $4K+. He keeps his truck is in better shape than 95% of the equipment I see on the road. Does he have bad weeks? No doubt! But the good outweighs the bad or he’d go back to doing heavy haul.

Shame on you guys bashing and acting like you have any clue what you’re talking about. “If this was true there would be no turnover”. That’s a logical fallacy. Not everyone is cut out to be a trainer. I plan on doing it and am currently reviewing companies. Every thread like this I see a couple guys break it down and say they’re doing well and then a bunch of haters chime in. Thanks for sharing OP!

9. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Where did you come from?

gentleroger Thanks this.
  10. gentleroger

Jun 1, 2010
    1) we see a lot of new members who post amazing numbers and then are never heard from again. The OP joined in April and hasn't posted in almost 3 months.

2) Most of the people who post numbers show an average cost per mile of $1.00. Assume that since the OP was teaming his cpm is lower - call it $.90/mile. Add in the cost of the student and you are back to $1.00 per mile. The OP said his average revenue per mile is $1.45. That leaves a net of .45/mile on 6,000 miles is only $2,700. To claim an easy net of $3,000 a week is not realistic.

3) average income for team drivers is between $75-100,000. Looking at just crst you find $45-65,000. If hitting $150,000 net revenue were common crst would have experienced drivers fighting to get hired. This is not the case.

4) Expecting tarinees to hit 3,000 miles a week is ridiculous. There is no way that high quality training is happening in that environment. Running a super 14 like your trainer did is one thing - teaming is a very different thing.

That is why the OP got push back. No one bashed him, they simply expressed disbelief.

11. snowmantrucking101

snowmantrucking101 Heavy Load Member

Mar 8, 2017
    What company you train for? Looking to get back on the road.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.