Lease vs Purchase, Cars vs Freight, all those noob questions...

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by RobGADV, Jan 6, 2020.

1. RobGADV

RobGADV Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2020
    This seems like a great site... so many places to post; couldn't decide where, so figured the best place was where all the other noobs post too. :) I've been reading various threads but still have questions.

Having been laid off from my programming job AGAIN, I'm done with that line of work. Time for something I have more control over. I've spoken to one carrier so far and he recommends auto transportation for the best money and least amount of dead-heading. I can start with non-CDL and then get my CDL and upgrade to a bigger truck and trailer.

The questions are this: First, does that sound like a good idea? Second, truck. I'm starting off with my own truck... my 2005 Dodge RAM 3500 dually that I've owned since 2007. Great shape, 123k miles, 6sp manual, etc, etc. I don't want to "wear it out" with this job so I'd want to upgrade in the next 3-6 mos. The debate is between buying a truck and paying extra on the loan so in 2-3 years when it has 300k on it, I can get out of it and into another... OR, going with something like the Enterprise Long Term Rental where you get a truck and pay 22 cents per mile and get a new truck every 60k miles (roughly). Though I've heard they're really backlogged right now. There might be other options but I'm not aware of them (part of the reason for this post!).

I'm thinking of starting off with an older used wedge trailer, 3-car, either a triple axle or tandem duals... depends on what I find at what price. Anything specific I should look for, or avoid? I know to check the brakes, wheel bearings, tires, wiring, etc but anything else?

I probably have a million more questions.. I'll post this for now and keep reading and see what else comes to mind. Thanks!!

Rob

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Have you priced insurance? Better do that before anything else. Commercial insurance can run into the 10's of thousands, especially for a new driver with no experience.
    Where is your location?

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  4. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Dont no anything about hot shot or car hauling. That said I'd run the truck I owned for a while till I was sure that's what I want to do. It's all fun and games, money hand over fist out here. Up until you start work and look for a pay day settlement.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  5. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    I moved the thread from Newbies to Car Hauling. Much better fit for your questions.

REO6205 Thanks this.
  6. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    In 2-3 years when it has 300k .....lol...maybe in the next year unless it will be your hobby
    2005 dodge is very good truck
    From office cube to hitting the road full time ? - wish you best
    Just ask your buddy hot shotter to take you in the pick up truck for 1 week so you get the feel of it and adrenaline dealing with problems ..not sure about condition of your truck though ...chinatown is right about insurance rate first

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.