Leased on to carrier that lets me use their fuel card questions...

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Driver0000, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Driver0000

Driver0000 Medium Load Member

Jun 26, 2016
    I recently leased on with a carrier that gave me a first fleet card. When I use it, they deduct the amount I swipe out of my settlement.

Then, they pay me for mileage based on 5 mpg @ $2.50/ gallon.

So, if I run 50 miles, that's 10 gallons of fuel they pay for at $2.50 or $25.00.

What advantage is this fuel card? I have the money to pay my own fuel. I'll still get the $25 when I run 50 miles. Why would I not pay for the fuel myself?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. hookster359

hookster359 Light Load Member

Sep 20, 2009
    mn
    A friend of mine told me one time if you use their fuel card, that if they go broke at least you have your fuel paid for and you havnt used your own money.

4. Driver0000

Driver0000 Medium Load Member

Jun 26, 2016
    That's about the only benefit I see to it.

The carrier offered me a loan for my plates which I turned down. They seemed shocked.

Now that I'm here, I'm learning that a lot of guys are in debt up to their eyeballs with this company bc of loans.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  5. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    I paid my own plate too. Owner of company asked me why. I said if you piss me off I can just drive away..........

He didn't know what to say.

I use my own card becaue I get a discount that is better than the company's discounts. I guess I can see the point if your planing on them locking there doors but I would already be gone if I felt that way.

Grubby, 1johnb, LoneCowboy and 2 others Thank this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I stopped doing that a while ago. The carrier I had leased to was messing up the settlements and charging back the fees for each transaction which to me was a bad thing because it wasn't in the contract so we terminated it and move to another company.

I refused to have any carrier pay for or get me my plates, I am a contractor, not an employee and if they want to pay me for them, they can put it into the settlement as a unnamed reimbursement.

7. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    Some fleets get better fuel pricing than you can. I have my own card but its only good around my regional area. If l had to go otr l'd either have to get another card or use the carriers card or cash whichever would be cheaper for me.

8. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    They pay all your fuel costs that's odd

9. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I went through a similar situation with my the carrier I am with. I was using his fuel fuel card. I got the cash discount, but he was not passing along the total discount from the fuel card to me. He was keeping that for himself. I ended up getting my own fuel card and the savings is substantial.

Personally,.. the more you are in control of and the less you depend on the carrier/broker to supply you with the better. What happens if their fuel card gets shut off? Or there becomes a dependency with how much fuel you used. You dont need those kinds of problems. There are many fuel card out there that will save you $0.20 - $0.30 off the pump price.

Hurst

JimmyWells and 2CAN Thank this.
  10. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Yeah but doesn't the carrier do the quarterly fuel reports which is easier if you fuel on their card ?

11. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Yes
    Easier for the carrier...
    The carrier should be passing along all discounts. A decent fuel card will offer a sum of amount purchased per state for the quarter which then can be added to the ifta report. I can see a carrier squabbling over an owner operator submitting a stack of receipts, that would be a pain to add up and deal with.

JimmyWells Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.