leasing from Prime?????

Discussion in 'Prime' started by Wiseguywireless, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Wiseguywireless

Wiseguywireless Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Petoskey, MI
    Can anyone fill me in on if it is worth it????

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jlkklj777

jlkklj777 20 Year Truckload Veteran

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa
    There is a fella there that is doing a thread on Prime. He will be the best to tell you wether it is worth it or not. Of course he is running team now so his experience and pay will be higher than a solo.

Many in here will tell you not to do a lease purchase as it is too risky but you must make that choice for yourself.

I recommend drivers taking a business class before trying to do a lease purchase or o/o deal. I for 1 believe there are better paying jobs in the company arena especially when there are union jobs available with top notch benefits.

Once you do a lease deal your on your own for the most part in regards to all the bennies a company driver may take for granted (medical, dental, vision, prescription, 401k or pension, paid vacations, paid sick days, paid personal days, layover pay, break down pay, detention pay, congestion pay, hourly pay if you work a dock etc.) As an o/o you will forfeit most of the benefits I just listed. For the others, eg. medical ins you will pay alot more for family coverages. Also be aware you will be responsible for all the ss tax and medicare tax federal and state quarterly filing and estimated payments, and workers comp (depending upon which state your in).

Many drivers look at the .90 cpm plus fuel surcharge and see big money. Take the time to crunch the numbers on truck payments, fuel, insurances, etc and you will see a huge drop in your adjusted gross earnings.

Compare these figures to a good paying company position (and remember if the truck breaks down its not your problem its the companies) with all the benefits and I think you will see why many l/p drivers quit and o/o's get rid of their trucks espoecially when the cost of diesel is still around 3.35 per gallon.

Mommas_money_maker Thanks this.
  4. Wiseguywireless

Dec 21, 2007
    Petoskey, MI
    thank you for your insight.... I appreciate it.

5. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Another thing to consider is you need to be climatized to the trucking industry before you go that route. Many have went belly up and were familar with trucking. Newbies get ate alive trying to lease.

6. broncrider

broncrider Road Train Member

nice point notarps.....

we are experiancing that fact where i work now....to many new l/p guys only see the dollor sings of the really good payin load and are waiting a week for it, instead of taking a slightly cheaper load ( still over 1.40/mile ) and keeping revenue coming in

7. Wiseguywireless

Dec 21, 2007
    Petoskey, MI
    Thanks to all. It is something to consider. I think Prime pushes the national on the Leases. so That one is most likely out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.