Leasing to a Company, Who Pays Form 2290?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by sds, Sep 27, 2011.

1. sds

sds Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2010
    glendale,az
    If one plans on leasing to a company, who gives his or hers plates with a fee, would the driver have to fill out and pay form 2290??????

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NCBirdman

NCBirdman Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Hickory, NC
    Owner of the truck pays the 2290.

SHC Thanks this.
  4. Wings2Wheels

Wings2Wheels Medium Load Member

May 3, 2008
    Eastern PA
    Today is the last day to file without possibly paying penalties and fees, just as a reminder!

5. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    Possibly, that's funny Wings. If your 2290 is due today, that is anyone that hasn't bought their truck in the last 60 days, you WILL be paying penalties and interest to the IRS if your late. Lord knows I've paid enough of them.

6. Wings2Wheels

Wings2Wheels Medium Load Member

May 3, 2008
    Eastern PA
    I don't like to deal in absolutes, such as, "...you WILL pay penalties and fees...", because a smart man once told me never to say 'always' or 'never'.

Having said that, when it comes to the government and them taking their pound of flesh from you, they almost always will!

I was explaining the various taxes and fees we pay in the transportation industry to a friend who has no experience in the industry. He was shocked at how much we pay, yet unsurprised that even with all the money collected that our roads and infrastructure are as jacked up as they've become. Where does all of that money goooooooooo?

rjones56 and fortycalglock Thank this.
  7. fortycalglock

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    Well in FL, we do a pretty good job with our roads. However in states like PA and NY (with huge road taxes), where the state fuel tax goes into the General Fund instead of the Transportation Fund, that money goes to pay all of those 100k+ state pensions. We won't even get into states leasing their interstate highways to foreign corporations who double and triple the tolls. If the state had done that instead of leasing they could make a whole lot more money for the state, not foreign stock holders. Yeah I'm talking to you Indiana.

8. pullingtrucker

pullingtrucker Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Fostoria, Ohio
    Don't forget FL doesn't get the harsh weather like PA and NY get. Thats the biggest reason the roads don't last...then throw the financing stuff on top and the roads stay bad.:biggrin_25523:

9. fortycalglock

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    Harsh weather, please. I know that's what folks like to say, but I'd definitely say I80 in Wyoming and Nebraska gets far harsher weather than I80 in PA, with similar truck traffic. Hmmm. Heck I80 in OH vs. PA. Job security for the road crews is all I'm saying.

10. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Pennsylvania has one of the highest fuel taxes in the country. They also have one of the highest tolls on their turnpike, yet they can't seem to keep up their roads up and are always trying to find a way to shake down the industry. Their toll road is not well maintained (the last time I was on it) so where does the money go? It goes for mass transit, bike trails and parks. It goes for everything but what the tax was collected to do, take care of the roads. If Pennsylvania and other states used their toll money to maintain their roads then they would have some of the best roads in the country. Nearly every toll road that I have traveled have the worst maintained roads. Other parts of the country also have bad weather and they seem to be able to keep their roads up and usually by collecting a lower fuel tax. Tennessee has a fuel tax rate of half of that in Pennsylvania and we don't have toll roads, yet we have some of the best maintained roads in the nation. I understand that salt and cold weather takes a toll on roads, but so does heat. If you look at the states with the best roads you won't find toll roads and their fuel taxes will be less than the states with high tolls. The George Washington Bridge has a toll that is ridiculous, yet you can almost fall through the pot holes in the bridge. What happens with all those millions of dollars that people pay in tolls and we aren't even going to talk about the high fuel taxes. I think that all that money is going into someone's pocket. Politicians of these states need to start being prosecuted for misappropriation of public funds. I would guarantee that you would begin to see a different attitude when it comes to keeping up the infrastructure.

BigBadBill, josh.c and Ukumfe Thank this.
  11. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    Gman as I was reading earlier post I was crafting my response that is just what you said.

Have not researced all the states but states like CA, IL, PA all put fuel tax into general fund. I voted for some wingnut in CA once just because he said he would make fuel tax go to road use only.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.