Leave Office Job for Truck Driving

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Tacomatrd99, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Tacomatrd99

Tacomatrd99 Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2018
    Curious to see if anyone else here has gone down the same road as me. I grew up in trucking and it was always a passion of mine. I went to mechanics school, worked for a month as a mechanic, and then went and got my CDL. After about a year, I was offered a job in an office by a friend of the family. Some family convinced me to give it a shot, so I did. Always really missed trucking though. Fast forward eight years, I’m married, and miserable at my job. Wife convinces me to stay with an office job, but look for a different company. I agreed to give it a shot. Well, seven years later, I’m making good money as an office guy, but miserable from the mental stress of construction, and being stuck in an office. I’ve found a company near me that will hire me, and at a decent wage, driving local with maybe one night out a week. I’ll take about a $10-12k paycut, but I feel in my heart I’ll be happier in the long run. At this point, I’m completely miserable and still working 60-70 hours a week, and am getting home after everyone is sleeping and leaving many mornings before everyone is up.

So, curious, has anyone been down this road? Has it worked out?

Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I'm new on the road, came from doing IT for 10 years. It was sucking the life out of me, so I quit. Haven't regretted the decision. Love computers and technology, hated everything else. Phone would not stop ringing, everyone telling me their issue is high priority, some dominatrix assistant commissioner lady that loved embarrassing guys in front of people, endless pointless meetings and then meetings about meetings then after that we would have meetings about why work wasn't getting done because of all the meetings. No man, just no. I stayed there long enough to lock in my pension then RAN.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    2 or 3 times a week people post that are in the same situation as you.
    Most want to go OTR, but a few, like yourself, want local jobs. Majority of us tell them to go for it.

5. Wrecked_Harley

Wrecked_Harley Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Chandler, AZ
    Meetings about meetings is my favorite!! I too am leaving IT after I get a couple things in order, unfortunately I don’t have the pension part. IT would be great if they just let us do our jobs. I know I am probably trading one headache for another but at least I will get a window with a view with my new headache.

cbake7, okiedokie, CJ701 and 3 others Thank this.
  6. BrownEyedGirI

BrownEyedGirI Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Cincinnati
    I was a business analyst at a great company. I made decent money and had amazing perks. The only problem? I couldn't stand sitting in an office all day staring at a computer screen. I went to start my CDL journey almost two years ago. I've never regretted it once.

7. sherlock510

sherlock510 Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Intercontinental.
    Try to avoid OTR if possible.

Try to avoid the companies on the "no no" list.

8. Tacomatrd99

Tacomatrd99 Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2018
    Wow! Can’t believe how many responses in the same situation. I know I’m basically going to leave one 60/70 hour week for another, but the brain frying has to stop. Like mentioned, the phone never stops. The boss found out I was working crazy late at the office, so what did he do? He bought me a computer for my house.lol. I’ve been promised an assistant many times.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Wrecked_Harley Thanks this.
  9. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    How does the wife feel about it?

10. Snakeschasingcars

Snakeschasingcars Heavy Load Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Went to college racked up debt... Did accounting for 2 years. And hatted it.
    Mostly because of office drama and power plays over pety ####.

I drive otr well now regional otr is a better description. Im much happier now.

Intothesunset, CJ701 and Puppage Thank this.
  11. CK73

CK73 Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Wow just wow. So many IT guys going OTR. This former IT guy went AWOL and decided to drive OTR because of office PTSD as well. Now let"s talk about EBITDA and give the sales people all the bonuses and I will feel right at home..

TravR1, Vic Firth and Wrecked_Harley Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.