Leaving the Roehl school

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by rcbruno, Oct 26, 2019.

1. rcbruno

rcbruno Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2019
    Can anyone share real life experience of what Roehl has collected from an individual who has left their GYCDL training program early. I know they assign a $7000 obligation but what I'm trying to find out is what has really happened upon leaving after a few days or even 7 days into the training.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    you should have read the contract. in "some instances" you get to pull out and pay nothing during x amount of time before you are beyond that time, in "some instances" you have a time limit say 3 days, maybe 6 days, then pay pro-rated, or all of it.

what does your contract say..???

4. Midlife Trucker

Midlife Trucker Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Shady Dale, GA
    Why are you leaving? That could have a bearing on your obligations. I’m sure it is spelled out in the contract. Keep in mind they have incurred expenses and you took the spot of someone.

Puppage, Hazmat Cat and buddyd157 Thank this.
  5. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Are you at the one in/near Chicago? I heard good things about the training, why leave? The paperwork you signed will talk about the costs.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  6. Qbf594

Qbf594 Road Train Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Southern Canadian annex, NY
    I believe they will expect their 7k even if you leave in the first week. They set it up to owe the full amount from day 1 thru day 365- no prorate.
    Seems a bit early to leave after only a few days or a week? I went thru the Appleton terminal and was trained in the Fox Valley tech for my CDL test. I quit Roehl after 2 months solo and owe them 7k and would quit again in a heartbeat regardless of fiscal consequences...
    BUT I got the license for my 7k..... perhaps you could wait it out another week? see if you can squeak thru at least until you get the license??
    If you would like to offer any of the reasons you are changing your mind perhaps people here can help??

7. plankton

plankton Medium Load Member

Jan 9, 2015
  8. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Why are you leaving? Roehl is one of the better training companies out there.

9. flybynight12

flybynight12 Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2015
    slc
    I payed 1800 in 2011at a community college and cant believe they charge 7k

BigDog Trucker and speedyk Thank this.
  10. Qbf594

Qbf594 Road Train Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Southern Canadian annex, NY
    No money out of pocket. Room and board and a stipend while in class. If you bought a house in July and lost your job in November it seems like a good idea.
    Pacts with the devil usually do lol

Oderus Urungus and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  11. Traveling

Traveling Light Load Member

Sep 13, 2019
    I left the Roehl truck driving school after week and a half, about 3 years ago.

The reason I left was the lack of training/driving hours. It was supposed to be a 2.5 weeks course if I recall right, it ended up being even shorter than what was initially said.
    1-2 days the school was closed for Thanksgiving, for 1 day they shut everything down because one of the students was found drinking the night before, etc. It was supposed to be 1 instructor per every 3 students but most of the time the second instructor was gone so there was 1 instructor and 6 students sharing one truck in the yard. Other students were former truck drivers who did not drive for a couple of years and needed the refresher course, there was another student and I who never drove a big truck (even less a manual transmission semi-truck).

I told a Roehl manager I was leaving the program because of insufficient training hours behind the wheel (the way things were going it looked like I would have gotten less than 10 hours of driving overall) to take the road test. He told me they could 'terminate' me so that I would not need to pay them for the training (at the time Roehl valued their training program at $5,000). I agreed, they put on my record they terminated/fired me (students were considered employees). Later, when I was getting jobs with other trucking companies, I needed to explain why I was fired from Roehl.

I am not sure if Roehl was really doing me a 'favor' or they were getting back at me for leaving the program by telling me 'let us fire you' story.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    Hazmat Cat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.