Leaving truck at terminal

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Plumberboy2011, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Plumberboy2011

Plumberboy2011 Bobtail Member

Aug 18, 2016
    I was wonderingly work for Roehl if I quit and leave the company's truck at one of their main terminals like Gary IN that's not abandonment right?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Still abandonment. You have to return the truck to where they want it, even if it's 2000 miles away. You also have to clean it out and get a mechanic to check it off

4. David_Simpson

David_Simpson Medium Load Member

Feb 23, 2016
    most times, that is accepted as dropping it off at the terminal (you work out of). make sure you are not under a load, make sure you have someone make note the condition of the rig, and try and get a signed copy as well.

good luck

AM14 Thanks this.
  5. 1278PA

1278PA Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Roehl is where i want to start. Why are you quitting?

6. Plumberboy2011

Plumberboy2011 Bobtail Member

Aug 18, 2016
    They also have shuttle runs around Chicago, Jersey, Indianapolis go with swift or someone else if you want miles

7. David_Simpson

David_Simpson Medium Load Member

Feb 23, 2016
    i think this was not meant for me?

8. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Be very careful about quitting and leaving your truck anywhere, even at a terminal. I have seen so many guys get burned after they quit and leave their truck, thinking they are sticking it to the company, or getting back at them, or whatever nonsense. no company the size of roehl will care or get offended if you leave, but trust me, they will happily charge you a grand for truck abandonment.

If you decide to quit, you have to do it on good terms, even if you have to swallow your pride a little. Call them up, give your notice, do what they want. No matter how much a company might suck, it is still their truck and you signed on to drive with them so you have to follow their rules.

Lol I don't mean to preach on the op here, this is just something that so many drivers don't think through and I hate to see a guy get burned over something like this. Good luck driver!

UsualSuspect, Dan.S, A21CAV and 7 others Thank this.
  9. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    That's great advice.

Dan.S, AM14 and Kyle G. Thank this.
  10. AM14

AM14 Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Jefferson Twp. NJ
    Great advice indeed. So is this:
    I haven't left a trucking company but have upgraded trucks 3 times and each time I have been present for the technician's check up on the truck when I handed in the keys. A signed copy is a must. You don't need to be held responsible for whatever happens to it in the yard after you leave.

Also, no matter what kind of gripe you have with the company, please be considerate of the driver who gets assigned to the truck after you. It takes long enough to move into a new truck, the new driver doesn't need to be cleaning up after you too.

Dan.S, johnwayne187, bzinger and 6 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.