Left for Dead

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by PhilCowan83, Nov 8, 2017.

1. PhilCowan83

PhilCowan83 Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2017
    I recently signed on with a new company. They are, for lack of a better word, very unprofessional. I went from Alabama to Texas to drive their truck. They didn't even have my truck ready. It didn't even have a mattress in my day cab. They made me leave with my first load without a fuel card! So, to get to the real issue... I've driven from Texas to Tennessee with my first load and the truck starts to run hot. I pull over (going up a mountain and very close to the edge of the highway mind you) before my gauge goes into the red so I don't cause any real damage. I call the company to let them know what's going on and they immediately accuse me of trying to tear up their truck. I assured them that I did my pre-trip inspection.. the coolant levels were fine. They said they would send someone by five the next morning. No one showed. A little later that morning an auto-diesel mechanic stopped and took a look at my truck. He told me a fan wasn't working. He offered to fix it. Long story short, he fixed my truck in a Hardee's truck stop. He said the normal price for that kind of work was around $5,000 but he only charged me $2,800 because the guy and myself became cool on some common interests. So, I let the company men know the price and they went crazy! They cursed me and said that was an outrageous price and they weren't going to pay it. After 3 days they sent the payment through Western Union, but then requested a refund so it never went through. I'm stuck in Tennessee with no money, this guy really wants to seize the truck for work done and no payment but he won't do it because he knows I'll have no where to go. I don't know what to do. I feel like this company has no regard for my welfare. If I leave with this truck, I could go to jail. They left me hanging.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. miss elvee

miss elvee Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Russellville, AR
    I'm confused. Did you get authorization from the company for this random guy to fix that truck? If so, not your issue. It's between random mechanic guy and them. If not, then you might be looking down the barrel of paying that repair yourself.

Bean Jr. and pattyj Thank this.
  4. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    I'm still wondering why there would be a mattress in a day cab.

5. miss elvee

miss elvee Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Russellville, AR
    I know, right??! LOL

nightgunner, Bean Jr. and Steel Dragon Thank this.
  6. farmboy73

farmboy73 Medium Load Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    There are a few blanks that need to be filled in in order for this story to make complete sense.

7. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    You mean either a troll or OP dropped on head at birth. WTF gets in truck without fuel card and no mechanic going to do $2500 worth of unauthorized work unless its the drivers next of kin.

Bean Jr., Steel Dragon and ladr Thank this.
  8. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    I'm not sure this combo is big enough to fill the holes...

[​IMG]

9. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Guy gets a job and a truck. Takes it to his mechanic friend. They have few beers and friend writes a bill for $2800 for some imaginary repairs. Company is refusing to pay this bill since they did not authorize it. The whole $2800 for $5000 sounds funny. Usually company finds a mechanic to do the work and takes care of billing

Bean Jr., Steel Dragon, Tb0n3 and 2 others Thank this.
  10. Maj. Jackhole

Maj. Jackhole Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2017
    Op, I hope that isn't your real name and d.o.b as your user name. Personally wouldn't want my name attached to this conundrum you got yourself into.
    I will just say it. I think you are full of it, had nothing better to do than make up stories for the net.
    Fan repair at $5000 !

Bean Jr., Steel Dragon, ladr and 5 others Thank this.
  11. farmboy73

farmboy73 Medium Load Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    A bit off-topic, but can anyone describe what a troll smells like?

Steel Dragon and Maj. Jackhole Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.