Left hand hurts from steering all day

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by ichudov, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Buster Churry

Buster Churry Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Up The Road
    If you sit on your hand for a bit before you use it, it’s called the “ghost hand”. It feels like it’s somebody else’s hand doing whatever it is that you’re doing. :eek:

otterinthewater Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Lol

rank Thanks this.
  4. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Too hard to drive that way.
    I normally have the seat slid back and my boots propped up on the doghouse, kicked back with the cruisamatic set to 75 mph and George Jones singing.

5. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    I saw carpel tunnel mentioned; before you get out the Swiss army knife and do the rotor-rooter
    on the buildup of scar tissue encroaching on the sheath in your wrists, find a Chiropractor, (Yes,)
    That will do manipulative therapy on that. I happened to mention after 15 years of desk jockeying,
    I was feeling tingly in my wrists, especially my right mouse clicking hand. It was just an offhand comment, no pun intended, (but it went in there kinda cool;) anyway, but he said he could relieve the pressure and my insurance would cover it, as they would rather pay for that than surgery. Makes sense.
    So He too both thumbs side by side and pushed and squeezed hard up and down along each side of the
    carpel tunnel to disrupt the scar tissue. Too less than 10 minutes each time.
    He did this each time I went to get my back fixed up for about 2 months or so.
    I no longer have the issue.

6. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    I used to hold the steering wrong but I had an old trucker tell me to put the steering wheel pointing in the most upward position I can drive comfortable with and rest my hands on it holding the wheel firmly but not death gripping it. Works wonders I can drive for hours straight without even feeling fatigued.

rank Thanks this.
  7. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    There's no wrong , it's whatever works for you.

8. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Vibration is the way I looked at the problem of getting beat up by a truck as even the best transmit a great deal over the day. First step was a PURPLE brand extra wide seat cushion and lumbar support.

Second was a steering wheel cover from a chrome shop and third was a pair of anti-vibration fingerless gloves (designed & marketed as such).

I found the current pair a year ago on Amazon. Goatskin with blue fabric backing. Thick padding. Sold to use with power construction or demo tools.

I essentially use the butt of my palms to keep the truck lane-centered without winds or other problems. No more problems from gripping wheel. (On both trucks I’ve used, both have or have had steering problems; tracking). New trucks. Added Centramatic balancers.

The goatskin against the cover acts as a brake, in essence. Same as with any glove and any wheel material.

I had earlier a pair of fingerless from a Harley shop. Minimal pad. Not up to task of lessening vibration.

These gloves take some getting used to. Seem too stiff. I treated them with some Peccards. And the break-in was short. Still stiffer than normal, but not so it’s noticed. Driving without them is what I now notice.

Given they’ve now been used daily (all day) for a year and exhibit no deterioration, Im pleased.

Don’t forget other problems associated. Inadequate (old) fifth wheel grease is a classic. Always fighting with trailer. Old grease and new grease won’t mix. And grease in channels/pockets should be as soft as what’s on surface. (Disposable gloves & 4” wide flexible spreading blade).

Service guidelines are to steam clean fifth every few months. I carry a ten pound tub of highly tacky fifth-wheel grease to touch up with every trailer. Plate gets cleaned every PM. I look to have a smooth covering before every trailer. Back up and drop suspension. Lower trailer once suspension raised and a few inches from locking.

I’ve had guys with more experience than me overall (but not smoothbore tanker) just not understand the problem exaggerated in this service until they addressed it. Complaining of tight neck, shoulders and back fighting high winds all day. But my time-consuming approach (have to get yard dog to raise some trailers) means fingertip steering.

It’s also the leading secondary cause of loss-of-control accidents. Not tires or brakes. And almost universally ignored. It’s not a hitch once engaged. It’s a steering component. Metal on metal turns it into a brake against smooth trailer movement. Power steering hides this.

Good luck

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    Buster Churry and nax Thank this.
  9. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
  10. Call_Me_The_Breeze

Call_Me_The_Breeze Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Might have that truck checked for frame damage. I walked away from one that was tap-dancing on the steers. Wore me out trying to keep it going straight.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.