Left lane ticket on I-65 in Indiana

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by RJ_Jones, Sep 8, 2015.

1. RJ_Jones

RJ_Jones Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    I was pulled over on 9/2/15 and received a ticket for being in a restricted lane (far left lane). This happened on I-65 northbound right outside of Indianapolis, IN.

I was already in the middle lane coming up on slow poke TMC in the right lane and a 4 wheeler creeping up to the driver. Well the 4 wheeler does what they all do when approaching a truck and rides the brakes.

Rather then slam on my brakes, I simply run the left lane and pass the two. As soon as I move back in the middle lane the silly state trooper that was on the left shoulder hunts me down and gives me the lights. I was in the left lane for less then 1/4 mile doing maybe 70 so I passed the two very quickly and came back over!

Not familiar exactly with Indiana laws, but should I hire a lawyer to fight this ticket? Or will I just be wasting time and extra money.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    You were speeding and in the high dollar lane. Be thankful that's all you got.

Orangees, Fatboy42, tsavory and 5 others Thank this.
  4. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    You will be wasting time and extra money. They are pretty serious about their Left Lane laws...and there is signage all over the place warning you of such. And if you were going 70 mph. you are lucky the "silly state trooper" didn't throw in a speeding ticket for you as well.

5. mrdot

mrdot Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2015
    OH
    There isn't justification using that lane when it is prohibited. should've slowed down. Curious how much did it cost you? My buddy got one in kentucky, like 160$ when it was all said and done.

truckon Thanks this.
  6. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

First rule:
    When you are obviously in the wrong quit trying to make up stupid excuses as to why YOU chose to do WRONG.

Second rule:
    Your playing with your career, slow down and relax so you can stay employed.

7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I got the same ticket for the exact same reason OP did his maneuver. It was $125 in utah.

Car doing 62 in the right, truck doing 62 in the middle. So i took the left lane. Once traffic was clear. Speed limit is 75.

If i woulda waited 1 more mile. 3 lanes would have been 2 lanes and i would have been in the clear. For lane restrictions. And probably trapped STILL.

8. WesternEmpire

WesternEmpire Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Arcade, NY
    Didn't Indiana have a new law go into effect recently that made a Left Lane ticket up to $500? Or was it just for the people who camp in the left lane from Louisville to Gary?

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  9. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    Best bet is go to court and read what you wrote here to the judge.

mrdot, WesternEmpire and joseph1135 Thank this.
  10. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Lawyer up and fight it.

11. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    I got a left lane ticket in Cali. And lost the fight and got a point on my record since it is a moving violation. But, I would fight it regardless if I win or lose.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.