Legal CDL trailer no IFTA/IRP!

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Xray4, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Skip the tandem dual trailer if you are staying at 26k. Overkill and will cost you too much in payload. 17.5" singles would be best. Not going to do you much good anyway since the SRW drive axle will be what gets you in trouble. You want everything as light as possible otherwise you'll be out there wasting your time and would have a hard time staying loaded. A DRW truck would be a better idea though. You might seriously want to look at an Enterprise lease on a dually like that YouTuber "Tow Piglet" does and keep your SRW for hauling your boat or camper. That would keep the tax accounting a lot easier anyway. I think he said he gets a new one when they hit 60k miles and maintenance and repair are part of the deal. You'd have to buy a trailer. He runs no CDL also.

clausland and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Xray4

Xray4 Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2020
    Brandon thanks. So you hit the nail on the head about my srw, it tows my boat and camper, and does it well I might add. I was just really hoping to squeeze into this using it for at least the first 3-6 months before inevitably getting a dedicated dually for hauling. That would give me the time to learn what's good what's bad etc before investing in a new ride. At that point, I may even look at a single axle tractor with a sleeper instead of a dually. Not sure till I get rolling.

I appreciate the input, I think at this point it's really important that I get my truck weighed and see what sorts of trailers are available at what costs around here that I could run planning only for the next couple of months to get the experience before I jump into a different set up.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  4. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    @Xray4
    Oh one more thing. You mentioned something about a 100gal aux fuel cell. Really an extra 30-40 gals is all you need. Just enough to fuel up once a day. If you already own the 100gal cell, no big deal. Just don't fill it more that 30 gals. No need to lug an extra 700lbs of fuel around if you don't have too, cutting into your payload. Save every lb you can..

For what it's worth, I made due with only the stock 35gal tank on my Ram @36,000lb gross, & it was fine. Fueled up when I stopped for the night, then again around lunch the next day. There was the odd load that was just a huge sail, & I'd have to fuel an extra time, but that was rare. It's a little annoying, but never once did I run out of fuel..

clausland, Xray4 and 24kHotshot Thank this.
  5. Xray4

Xray4 Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2020
    Hey shaker thanks for the tip! I was wondering the same. I've got a 48 gallon tank stock, was thinking to add the 100 gallon because... Well, down the road from my home is a Costco that consistently prices diesel at $1.70! :) But, to save 700lb, it could be worth paying an extra $1.00/gallon...

clausland and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  6. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Well you will have the advantage of not paying IFTA, so running the cheapest fuel you can get your hands on will help you operating cost stay lower..

If I buy all my fuel cheaper in FL, then run around in GA on that FL fuel, I'll owe GA the "road tax" for all the miles I traveled there. vs the gallons I should have purchased in GA, according to my average MPG. so it won't really save me much. I worded that kind of funny but that's a brief rundown on IFTA in case you care. Lol :D

Anyway yeah, just something to consider. 48 gals is pretty good, even with a wind dragging tall load, you still probably be ok fueling up evening, & noon maximum.

When you look for an aux fuel cell, just check the empty weight of say a 40 gal vs a 100 gal. If it's only 20-30lbs difference, buy the bigger one if you want. Just don't fill it all the way full, unless you know you are pre booked on a light weight load going like 500miles or more. That way you'll burn off that extra fuel weight, & be lighter again while seeking out the next load..

I still do that now. I can carry 28300lb on full tanks, (2-100gal tanks) or 29,000lb at half tanks. I'll stop & fuel more often if it means getting a good paying load that's a few lbs heavier..

You may already know this,? 1 US gal diesel =7 lb roughly..

clausland, Xray4 and 24kHotshot Thank this.
  7. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    You’d still have to fill up twice a day even with a 48 gallon tank. That would only give a comfortable range of around 400 miles assuming 10 mpg. Maybe a little better under certain circumstances. I ran over the road with a 36 gallon tank and made it work. The advantage of having a big slip tank is you can buy fuel in cheaper fuel states and often could save you from having to buy any in expensive ones like CA or PA. Running under 26k without IFTA that can save you some money.

8. Xray4

Xray4 Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2020
    Ya buddy. So the tank I bought is 90 gallons plus my 48 stock. Fuel at Costco is still low, $1.75... I'll be ordering chains and tarps and straps tomorrow so by this coming weekend I can get a good weight with everything. It seems like getting out of Arizona with a decent paying load is the hard part, then either coming back from California or going into New Mexico and Texas the loads pay more. With this setup at 10 miles to a gallon, I could get into some parts of California and turn around without having to fuel in California. That would be awesome

9. Xray4

Xray4 Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2020
    By the way I bought that 90 gallon tank because it had a $500 fill rite 15gpm pump, and the thing was clean. Only paid 340 bucks for the setup. It's a pretty good deal in my opinion

Lite bug Thanks this.
  10. DouletTheDriver

DouletTheDriver Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Katy, TX (Houston)
    Note to self. Since your not going to have IFTA/IRP, New Mexico is gonna make you buy a permit to run in their state since you aren’t paying them any taxes.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  11. Xray4

Xray4 Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2020
    Thanks. I just called them on Friday to ask about it. They said you buy it at the port of entry, any time 24/7. Not sure how much though. I think something like $25 irregardless of distance or weight. Do you know if that's true?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.