Legal Sleep Aids and Stimulants

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by insipidtoast, Mar 22, 2023.

1. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Benadryl is a NO NO, I've always taken it, but a couple years ago when I developed asthma and started seeing an allergist, she and I went over all my meds that I take, prescription and OTC and what I do for a living. I forget all the specifics, but you will fail a UA, and it's detectable for a couple days too. I do still keep a couple tablets in the truck, in a sealed container stowed away where not easily found, but they are specifically for severe allergic reactions.

Personally, I find Mortin PM or Advil PM helps zonk me out.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tumbleweed TowMan

Tumbleweed TowMan Medium Load Member

Jun 22, 2022
    I am curious of this: in a profession of regulated hours, why is a stimulant needed to complete a shift?

4. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Because some people can't drive for even a few hours without getting tired but aren't a big enough person to admit the job isn't for them and find something else.

tscottme Thanks this.
  5. insipidtoast

insipidtoast Heavy Load Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    Advil pm and benadryl both contain the same ingredient. Advil Pm is the same as taking one benadryl and one regular advil.

tscottme and Brettj3876 Thank this.
  6. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    I have never been a good or sound sleeper. Got started the wrong way when I had my first job in a textile mill working the "graveyard shift". As far as staying awake, no problem at all, just put a big wad of Red Man, oh excuse me, they have changed the name to I believe, American Chew, but whatever the name is, I just put a big wad in my mouth, maybe sallow a little and way we go thru the night.

Crude Truckin', Lite bug and Chinatown Thank this.
  7. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    An amino acid L-Glycine found in Collagen Mixes is also in protein drinks is very beneficial for sleep.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    This is the right answer. Getting on the pick-me-up-bring-me-down Rollercoaster is a good way to end up room temperature.

tscottme, wore out, kemosabi49 and 2 others Thank this.
  9. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    This is why I not only have hairy palms, it’s spread to the rest of my body as I got older! But it left my head……

Concorde, Chinatown and Lite bug Thank this.
  10. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    In different dosage amounts.

11. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    One big cup of coffee that I sip throughout the day is the only stimulant that I use to stay awake. If I use anything stronger than that, it just causes anxiety and heart palpitations and whatever else. Some of those energy drinks y’all drink, or just insane to me. Lol I know guys out there that drink four or five of them a day. I wouldn’t be able to function.

as far as sleep goes, occasionally I’ll take some melatonin. And I also keep a concentrated herbal extract a valerian root. Take these two in combination and it’ll usually put me out pretty quick. The problem with melatonin is you don’t want to take it unless you have a full eight hours or more. Otherwise it will still be lingering in your system when you’re trying to start your day and you’ll be sleepy for the first few hours.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.