Legislation on overtime pay?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by MACK E-6, Apr 24, 2022.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    It doesn’t work that way at every company, or at every terminal.

The city guys here, especially those of us with higher mileage runs, do better than the linehaul drivers and the only way it even comes close is if there’s no waiting.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Saw this years ago at a union location.

The week's hour guarantee was based on when during the week a driver started so the junior drivers worked mid week into the weekend with zero possibility of overtime.

Mileage drivers started Sunday at 2300 [my salaried butt was there to open the door an hour early] and were 'time in' [CPM equlivalent of 40 hours] by thursday and junior men covered the longer trips into the weekend.

Problems arose when there was overtime available, someone 'time in' by 0900 thurday wasn't interested in making a run on Friday afternoon.

4. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    You might want to check out pay scales from LTL companies that operate in California if you can find them. From what I understand, the linehaul drivers get paid a little bit more per hour, possibly to compensate as a shift differential or laying out in hotels, etc. California passed an overtime law several years back I believe.

Are you still with FedEx Freight? You should see if you can find out what their California linehaul drivers pay is compared to P&D.

5. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    OT will go along great with the mandatory 55 speed limit.

6. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    They got involved 80 years ago when they decided truckers shouldn't get paid overtime. Be nice if this actually happened but you can be sure that the ATA will fight this with all of their resources. Having to pay truckers for all they do and with overtime to boot would turn this industry's on it's..........

7. Shackdaddy

Shackdaddy Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2021
    I’ve known a lot of drivers that are mileage pay but if they have to wait or breakdown they get hourly delay time. But here’s the rub…

Most companies pay this after the first hour or two hours. So they are blatantly telling you you’ll be expected to give hours away for free.

And trucking companies get away with this all day. But let Burger King tell their fry cook he’ll get paid after the first hour or two. And every Burger King would shut down from staffing shortages. The fry cook at Burger King has too much pride to allow that.

But truck drivers ….

8. Capacity

Capacity Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Neenah Wi
  9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Not too long ago I read an article about Amazon warehouse. At the end of shift they have to go through security to leave to check for something that fell in a purse or whatever. Averages about 15 minutes. Amazon lost a labor dispute because Amazon said it wasn't work so unpaid, Dept. of Labor said because they weren't free to leave without disciplinary action they were owed pay for that time.

I see no reason trucking shouldn't be the same way. At the end of the day pay will likely be the same I realize, but getting paid hourly stress level are non-existent in traffic jabs, construction, or even waiting at the docks.
    And yes, I've been paid by the trip (which is all most mileage pay is, unless it's hub miles) and hourly.

10. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    While I enjoy the soft serve billionaire propaganda pouring out of the mouths of certain people in this thread, the "free market" system that you guys inappropriately touch yourselves over is not working. The industry at large has been circling the drain toward the bottom since 1980.

Time to try something new.

And "why even make more money, they're just going to tax it" was not a point of view I was expecting to see today. Lol that was a good chuckle.

11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I take it you’ve never heard the term before?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.