Let's Go Get Stoned......

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Burky, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

lLat nite about 10 pm, I was getting ready to call it a day. I was sistting here at the computer finishing up the internet stuff for the night, and I started noticing a dull pain on my right side stomach area, just above the groin. It increased over the next half hour or so, making things very uncomfortable, and I started sweating. I went in and took a hot bath, and when I climbed out it was still there. By about 12:30, it was a steady, heavy dull pain in the lower right abdomen, and I made the call that I was gonna have to head for the local hospital.

My father has been a nurse for over 30 years, and I called next door to his house and he came over. I asked what the possibilities were, and it turns out the painful location is home to a possible hernia, the appendix is there, and the kidneys are there. So there were three possibilities of something serious being wrong.

Got to the hospital and got in (easy on a quiet sunday nite!) and they probed me and took a feel, then x-rayed and finally did a cat scan. Turned out to be a kidney stone working it's way out of the body. My blood pressure was also skyrocketing, and they provided some pills for that to try to get that under control before I left. By 5 am the pain was decreasing, and the worst of it was passed, and they sent me home.

Not an experience that I would want to repeat, and the first time in over 10 years that I have had to go in for any treatment other than a physical. However, of the three possibilities, having a stone go through was probably favorable to losing the appendix or having a hernia.

What a great way to start my spring vacation!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    I hope it doesn't cause you too much pain, and that it passes quickly.

4. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

It seems to have passed and the pain is way down. In fact, though I have some decent painkillers, I am not taking them because I really don't need to. Of course, about 12 hours ago I wowuld have wimped out and taken whatever I had at hand.

5. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    WOW BURKY! Iam glad that you are OK.

Iam sorry I missed this post yesterday or I would have responded to it sooner. YOU can tell WISEONE to quit working me so hard.:biggrin_25523:

HEY....I told you and meant it....if you ever need a healing massage, we can certainly work the pain out of your body!

THAT is after you do your share of painting on LOGS house.:biggrin_25525:

6. Cerberus101

Cerberus101 Heavy Load Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Georgia
    theres always a catch to womens goods. paint = massage. go for it dude..........

7. They say that once you have a stone you are prone and likely to have attacks in the future ... I have had 6 in the last 3o years and I am going to offer some hints on what you might do in the interim to seeking medical attention..... They say it is the equivalent of the pain women go thru during child birth which I can neither confirm or deny but do know it can be excruciating .... when I have felt an attack come on I immediately chug cranberry juice ..... I now take cranberry in capsule form as well .... it seems to go right thru to the kidneys and helps the stones float .... I also keep Moltrin on hand and that usually takes 20 minutes to kick in but it is a muscle relaxer and helps with contractions around the stone ..... the pain is not always in the same place either ..... the sweats, well that comes with the body defending itself .... as for appendix that usually comes with a very very sore very tender to the touch situation..... Main line of defense is chuggin down some cranberry juice .... works for me and is worth a try to help relieve the discomfort while gettin to some medical help....

8. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Sorry just got this! Sorry for all the missery :(.

Curious does everyone pass kidney stones or just the un-lucky certain one's?

I am a young pup and did not listen in health. Maybe that's why I smoke:biggrin_25512:

9. CommDriver

CommDriver Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Sorry for your pain. But as you say, better than losing the appendix, or being diagnosed with crohn's or colitis which would have been other possibilities.

10. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    I think you have many stones!!:biggrin_25523:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.