Lieing on logs

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by scottd25, Aug 16, 2009.

1. scottd25

scottd25 Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Monroe,MI
    do alot of truckers lie on their logs to make a load on time? i heard that from a guy and i was wondering if its true

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cherokeechief

cherokeechief Light Load Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Gilson, il
    what?!? Lie on the Logs? No, we never LIE on the logs, now there might be some that are creative, but do not lie.
    besides, anyone that would admit to lieing on a log book is not a safe driver.
    granted there may be some companies that may suggest to have you lie on your logs, but, if caught doing so will be a bad thing for you and the company that tells you to do so. but a company that tells you to do so, will deny ever telling you to lie on the logs. this is also why the FMCSA is trying to push the OBER, or also known as the paperless logs.

4. scottd25

scottd25 Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Monroe,MI
    ok i was just wondering, because im in a trucking school, and i heard that, but i was wondering if all companies give enough time for drivers to make there load on time?

5. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    You have to lie quite a bit with your log. Or, be creative. Shhhhhhhh, don't tell a soul.:biggrin_25519:

6. scottd25

scottd25 Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Monroe,MI
    how do be creative on ur logs? like i dont know what you do

7. cherokeechief

cherokeechief Light Load Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Gilson, il
    well when the electronic onboard recorders come into play, which will be sooner than anyone thinks, there will be no such thing as lieing, or even being creative.

8. scottd25

scottd25 Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Monroe,MI
    do some companies already have that electronic logs?

9. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Yeah, I believe Werner has them. I'm sure some others do as well.

But you should NEVER, EVER lie on your logs. First off, it is lumpy and uncomfortable. Also, it can wrinkle the paper, and your sweat can make the markings on the log run. Leave your logs on your desk or your passenger seat, not on your mattress!:biggrin_25517:

Seriously, a lot of folks get "creative" on their logs. Some to the point they are running numerous log books at the same time...:biggrin_2556:

But if, or I should say WHEN your logs are audited, this is likely to show up. Most companies, at least the larger ones, do a computer run on your logs. Falsification will stick out like a sore thumb.

Of course there are some companies that will actively encourage you to make the load on time, no matter WHAT it takes. The hell of it is, you are quite likely to be working for a dispatcher who wants you to do this. But then your company safety department will audit the logs and you will be in deep doo-doo.

Then of course there will come a time when your company faces a log audit by the DOT. This has cost a lot of companies a LOT of fines! A few companies have even changed the way they deal with drivers because of it.

10. Raezzor

Raezzor Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Aug 1, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Between qualcomms, toll booths, and fueling stops (just to name a few) there is alot that can burn you if you lie on your logs. It can be done, and in a way that you will get away with it, but you have to make sure all times match. Just means there is very little you can get away with, especially if a lawyer is after you.

Gearjammin' Penguin Thanks this.
  11. 074344

074344 Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Los Angeles, ca
    My answer is very simple. If you ever have to lie on your log, for ANY reason, you are working for the wrong company! Period. I don't care what others tell you. Run from them. You know what the rules are, the company knows what the rules are. All of those favors you do for them will fall on deaf company ears if you get caught. Think about it. Would they ever admit to officials that they asked you to do anything against the law? You know the answer to that.

It always amazes me how many people have to (lie, cheat, steal, cook, fudge, or any other saying) in order to make a living. What a pathetic comment to ever have to make. These same people look at themselves in the mirror and say, "I am a proffesional truck driver". They couldn't be further from the truth.

Drive safe

ac22591, misterG, Nevada_Bob and 4 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.