Life before trucking

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Rocket, May 9, 2007.

1. Rocket

Rocket Guest

I'm curious: What did ya'll do before you became trucker(s)? How old were you when you started driving/decided to change careers?

Me in a nutshell: 44, going on 45. Been an office person all my life. Am considering becoming a truck driver and currently doing research as to how to get there.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ducks

Ducks "Token Four-Wheeler"

Jan 1, 2007
    Southeastern Pennsylvania
    That's an interesting question, Rocket! I'm not a driver, but I, too, will be interested in who's done what prior to taking the wheel. I bet there's a wealth of non-trucking knowledge in this forum as well!

4. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Well I was thinking brain surgeon or trucker........:biggrin_25523:

5. pro1driver

pro1driver Heavy Load Member

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    i was a highly skilled auot/truck mechanic.............

then i thought that getting greasy and buying tools was not the life for me anymore.

then i got into this mess....................

i still get greasy, and from time to time, i need my tools................

i should have become a brain sturgon instead...............

they have nice shiney tools................!!!!:biggrin_255:

6. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Originally, built furniture, then oil field till it crashed, NAVY, then furniture while I worked my self through school. Got a degree in radio and television communications. Worked in the industry for several years, grew tired of the dog eat dog office politics....

Had a friend that owned 5 trucks offer me a job. Took it. My training consisted of watching his nephew drive for 30 straight hours LOL...Then I took over. I was running New York and Chicago with NO EXPERIENCE my first month :) Let me talk to you about being skeered out ya mind :biggrin_2556: Done that for about 7 years. Back to radio...Back to truck for another 3.

Went back to school (driving local)....Computers and programming. Just before the Dot com crash...back to OTR trucking.

I figure what the hell...make the most of it..then retire. I ain't even going to consider going back to the things I hold degrees in.

7. Lil'Devil

Lil'Devil Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Great White North
    I have never really done any other job, When I was about 16 I started working for a trucking company loading trucks and also moving trailers around in the yard with an old highway tractor. This was how I learned to drive trucks. As soon as I was old enough to get my cdl I was driving trucks on the road.

8. dsober1

dsober1 Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Marydel, Delaware
    I roofed 4 many yrs, employed w/another contractor or self. After a good bit residential work I went union and developed commercial application skills. Alcoholism escalated and compounded w/many other personal probs resulting in a pretty ugly existance 4 wife, children and myself. Now a scab, and finally learning how 2 stay sober, my roofing proficiency and employers needs brought me into repair/remedy work. I prosered. At 48 I somehow thought grass was greener elsewhere and acquired funding 4 radiology training but it was 2 hard 2 maintain full time school and work. Trucking appeared 2B a good income and lifestyle 4 an older gentleman and I managed 2 secure training company after several creative apps. I struggled thru the training as brief as it was and learned the rest otr as company driver 4 CRE. I was @ edge of finiancial disaster when my exp level finally brought me elidgeable 4 better employ. My re-finiance effort failed but my new employ slowly provided the income needed 2get accounts payable back N2 grips. While hometime (virtually wkly) and just less than 2 wk ago I broke my wrist 5 X's. So now I have no income and exist on already high balance credit cards @ high interest rates due 2 prev late or slow payments catching up. My teenagers r almost grown and on their own. Soon I expect my wife n I will sell n surrender equity 2 debts. I will eventually heal n return 2 work, however, the future is beyond the context of ur question...thnx

9. buck and a half

buck and a half Mr. Miles & Miles with Many Smiles

Aug 11, 2006
    madison,me
    I have worked as long as I can remember,my father raised 8 of us by himself,my mother raised us in the home,dad did not believe in his wifes working,that was his job. We all delivered a big 2oo plus customer door to door paper route 7 days a week,before we went to school,up at 430 5 am everyday,then mt father had a door to door grocery del business at a big supermarket,we del after school and sats on this job,our allowance was a lg rootbeer and 2 chicken salad sandwiches at a&w root beer stand. After that I worked at a uniform place and replaced a guy that was drafted in army and went to vietnam,i took care of the stockroom and on weekends I serviced their drivers van bread type trucks,adj brakes replace exhaust,greasing,adj clutches etc. i am a vocational school mechanic graduate and got a three year degree.I didn't like all the grease,got drafted myself and to vietnam,on return worked in a western auto warehouse where dad was working and driving part time.unloading rr cars ,tires,bikes etc. Hard work. A family friend helped me like this forum does,he brought me to his job where he was a night watchmen in boston,he also owned a mobil station in dorchester,he introduced me to my new boss,that boss had me go and learn dump trucks and then a crane truck with a pole trailer ,i trained with that driver for three months,got my cdl stamped and a crane lic at hoisting engineers in boston,from there i never looked back,trucking to me,is the easiest living for me and I still love it,for the freedom and pride of doing my own thing,get paid well for thinking,driving ,caring about your company and bosses,and being on time picking and delivering. I can honestly say for most of you,try it you will like it,work at it,study and preplan your whole trip and it is a piece of cake to me.ust apply yourself to the fullest,play when you really have the time and not before. By the way,be sure and talk to others out there,waitresses,cooks,drivers,cashiers,be sociable so you will not be really lonely and up tight,do not be afraid to walk up to a driver like me that could be your grampa or dad,and ask any questions,most of us had folks to raise just like you. We will help you if we can. Talking is very important to stay loose and enjoy your newfound occupation.

10. Rocket

Rocket Guest

I'm sorry to hear things have been so tough for you lately! I hope you'll get better soon!!!!

11. Rocket

Rocket Guest

And they deal with a lot of blood. :biggrin_2554:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.