Liftgate for 28' trailer. Standard gates won't fit!

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by EZ Grip Company, Aug 12, 2020.

1. EZ Grip Company

EZ Grip Company Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2020
    Hey guys, So I work in the film industry and I am a teamster Local 399. I bought a 28' trailer with a rail gate on it but I want to change out that gate and put an industry standard canteliver style gate on it. The problem I've run into is I only have about 18" of clearance to the rear axle. All of the standard gates from the big manufacturers require 36+ inches.

I have a friend who has a Waltco 1090 series gate on his 28' trailer and while it isn't a leveling gate it's better than a rail gate for two reasons. One it allows curbside loading because it doesn't have the chains like a rail gate and two it allows for standard swing doors on the back of the box.

My question is: Do any of you know of a gate out there that will work with very low clearance. Or do any of you know someone who designs custom lift gates so I can get one made to fit this application specifically?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Refferandtrucks

Refferandtrucks Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2020
    Try and find it at your nearest great Dane they will have it

4. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    I'm assuming your 28' rail liftgate trailer looks something similar to this.......

Dry-Van-Trailers-Great-Dane-28-TANDEM-AXLE-ROLL-DOOR-LIFT-GATE-DRY-VAN-18985204.jpg

If you plan on using the liftgate for frequent use...IMO you should follow the same lead that LTL carriers use and look into a tuck under liftgate with a rollup door. There's a reason why practically all LTL carriers use them. They're easier, faster and more efficient than using a rail lightgate. One...it makes it easier bumping docks compared to a rail liftgate. You're not wasting time moving the rail up and down, chaining, etc. Two...a roll up door is easier and faster than constantly jumping in and out to open the swing doors. Imagine having 15 stops and having to open the swing doors at every single one. Again...it's all about speed and efficiency. Three...you don't see too many swing door trailers with liftgates on them like this pic for example........

maxon-GPC-1525193634.jpg

Maybe it makes sense if you don't use the liftgate that much or go to places that don't allow liftgates in the docks...that's where swing doors might make sense because they give you a flush tight seal to the dock doors...whereas rollup doors tend to have a large gap where the liftgate is because they tend to have steps on the side so you can climb up into the trailer. So they don't give a tight seal on the docks like swing doors do.

This video shows a FedEx Freight city driver using a 28' foot tuck under liftgate trailer with rollup doors making a residential delivery......

To be honest with you...it might be better to sell your trailer and buy another one that's more tailored to your needs. Having the rail liftgate removed and installing another liftgate doesn't sound all that cheap. You can probably google your nearest liftgate dealership/installer or truck reapair shop and get an estimate of how much it's gonna cost you.

Good luck.

98989 Thanks this.
  5. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Sounds like you are needing a tuck away style gate on a trailer that has the axle all the way back to the bumper. Maxon and Waltco make them but you will need a trailer dealer or trailer repair/service shop that is a dealer for those gates to install it. It will need the bumper removed and an extended apron welded onto the back of the trailer and be attached to the frame. It will make the overall length of the trailer a couple feet longer if that is still ok for you.

6. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    As a rule of thumb those gates usually cost about a dollar for every lb. capacity. My 2500lb. Maxon all steel gate that I put a million miles on was $2500 and recently a 3000lb. aluminum one was around $2900 ea. but we bought two of those at the same time so it may have been a “deal”.
    You still have the labor cost to add to that which I’m sure is subject to region and quality.

7. EZ Grip Company

Aug 12, 2020
    So let me clarify. In the Motion Picture Studio industry almost all trucks have swing doors and leveling canteliver style gates that are 72-80" x 96 or 108" depending on the width of the trailer.

The problem I'm running into is i don't have enough room underneath the rear of the trailer to fit all of the necessary hydraulics. The rear axle is too close to the tail of the box.

8. EZ Grip Company

Aug 12, 2020
    The Waltco 1090 series gates are the only ones i've found that can be mounted with little to no clearance at the back of the truck. They are not leveling cateliver gates, they act more like a rail gate once deployed but they do stow upright like a canteliver gate and do not have chains on the sides which allows for curbside loading.

The cost is going to be tremendous I know but i'm looking at keeping this trailer for the next 25yrs so having it right is more important than the cost to me.

So i'm just looking for any other options I have not seen yet that could possibly be mounted on a trailer like mine.

9. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    One of the problems with pup trailers is that the tandem wheels are fixed. They're setup for doubles. You can't slide them like you can with a 48' or 53' trailer. If purchasing a bigger trailer or a rollup door is out of the question...it's probably best to go with that Waltco 1090 series since you've already seen how it works on your friends trailer. Or "MAYBE" put a side liftgate on with wider doors???

upload_2020-8-12_17-50-36.png

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.