lifting tips for a local food service delivery guy?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by pdizzle, Feb 10, 2013.

1. pdizzle

pdizzle Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Hey guys, I work for a large food delivery company up here in Canada that will go unnamed. Job obviously included lifting lots of heavy stuff, ie frozen beef, frozen fries, bags of mild products etc onto a cart and given er down a ramp. I find myself with an aching lower back after every shift. I try to do the whole bending knees when lifting thing, but it doesn't seem to help much. Now i'm a younger guy at 27 yo and don't want to screw my back for the rest of my life. Any tips? braces?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. minitman

minitman Bobtail Member

Jan 7, 2013
    West Columbia, SC
    Get out of food service! Left sysco after 20 years, never felt better.

danny_379 Thanks this.
  4. pdizzle

pdizzle Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2011
    the money is too good and I just bought a house. So leaving isn't in the books right now lol. I've been with them less than a year.

5. Dinomite

Dinomite Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Looking 4 Rocks
    You will also start having elbow and knee issues. If you just started your back might get use to it, but I doubt it. Also most of those companies once you get hurt will kick you to the curve. So if you are going to stay in that for the long haul. Might want to hit the gym and do lots of knee and back exercises. I know once I left food service the pain stopped.

Marksteven Thanks this.
  6. jakebrake12

jakebrake12 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    I never did food service but I do a lot of lifting on the dock and have had a bad back since I screwed it up at 18. I would just say use common sense and lift with your legs. Don't twist when lifting either.
    Anyone with a bad back will attest to this - you won't throw it out lifting a couch.. You'll throw it out with a sneeze or something stupid like reaching for the remote.

Marksteven and Big Don Thank this.
  7. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Pay attention to what you are doing. Don't get in a hurry. Those two things will take you a long way. Use the back brace, and BE CAREFUL TAKING LOADS up and down that RAMP.

Marksteven and jakebrake12 Thank this.
  8. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    The only problem with wearing a back brace is that your body becomes dependant on it, and the day you forget it or don't put it on could be bad news.

9. jakebrake12

jakebrake12 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    We used to have to wear back belts on the dock until about 2006 when it was determined they really didn't do any good. The only thing it did for me was push my shirt up and my pants down. Back then I was still in crosstraining shape too.

Marksteven Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    It will eventually ruin your back. I did that for awhile, then went back OTR reefer; sometimes then I had to sleep in the truck sitting in a folding chair because if I laid down pain would shoot from my lower back down thru my legs. That OTR company recruited a lot of drivers from the beverage & food service companies because they couldn't handle the back pain any longer. Consider getting into the tanker/hazmat work; can make the same money. Usually the only labor is hooking up a hose and turning on a pump

RookieJ1987 and ClassB Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.