Light Weight "Off Road" Vehicle Relocation - "Single Load Insurance"

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by 895 Transit, Dec 13, 2020.

1. 895 Transit

895 Transit Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2020
    MI
    In short, can Owner/Operator MC insurance be purchased by the load versus carrying a yearly policy?

Longer background is that I’m retired guy seeking to assist others relocate various pieces of light weight (<1500#) “off road” equipment (i.e. ATVs/Motorcycles/etc) across North America. This would be an “as needed / break-even” versus an “active / income generating” type of activity. Basically looking to cover my costs when the opportunity arises (which, by the forums I follow, is rough 3-6 times a year). I would be running a 1/2 ton pickup pulling a 20’ enclosed trailer (i.e. a non-CDL setup).

I’ve spent some time investigating the idea and the (current) sticking point is insurance. That is, all of the remaining FMCSA stuff seems manageable for an “as needed” / “on demand” type of activity; non-CDL / paper logs / USDOT / LLC / etc. is low(er) cost and effort. Where things get expensive is the (yearly) insurance to run under your own authority. If I could get (reasonable) “single load” insurance this idea my have some merit, but otherwise I think I’ll pass; no way I’m paying $5000+/yr.

Before I start making hard inquires to insurance agents/brokers, I wanted to know a) if “single load” insurance exists, b) how would one make the inquiry, and c) what companies I should seek out / avoid.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    No. To keep active operating authority you must maintain a policy on file with the FMCSA at all times. The insurance carrier is laible for your truck even when not actively trucking so they do not do part time policies. Limited mileage yes, part time/per load no.

895 Transit Thanks this.
  4. 895 Transit

Dec 13, 2020
    MI
    Appreciate the feedback; makes perfect sense.

Generated an on-line quote from Progressive; ~$5000/year which includes using truck/trailer for personal use (i.e. 90%+ of the time). Works out to ~$300/month over and above current personal insurance. Not nearly as painful as I first anticipated (I thought it would be ~$5000 in ADDITION to my current personal insurance). Hmm...

5. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    That is a real good quote, new authority insurance is usually 3x that or more. Best wishes, hope it works out for you.

895 Transit Thanks this.
  6. 895 Transit

Dec 13, 2020
    MI
    Again, appreciate the comments. Leaning towards moving forward. Next step is to follow up with local agent; they have done me right so I'll give them a chance...

7. 895 Transit

Dec 13, 2020
    MI
    Locked in favorable yearly insurance rate through local agent (works with Progressive); purchased today. Launched business morning of 1/1/21 and within 24hrs had multiple inquires one of which turned into a firm booking (Indy to Austin)...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.