Lights Inop on T2000 SmartWheel Buttons

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Shepherd777, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Shepherd777

Shepherd777 Bobtail Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Newington
    Hello -

I have a new to me 2003 T2000 with the Smart Wheel option. This is where the engine brake and cruise control buttons are on each side of the horn button on the steering wheel.

The buttons do not light up at night, so I took apart the fascia. I did not see any bulbs. Just a small 1.5" x 3" circuit board on each side.

I called a local Kenworth dealer and they did not really seem sure. But they finally said that each circuit board has tiny LED's that light up to illuminate the buttons. And that new circuit boards are $61.79 each. So with shipping and taxes, $140 seems a little steep just to see the #### thing at night.

I could barely see the LED's with my magnification glass, if the LED's were indeed what I was looking at.

I cannot imagine all 4 LED's failing even after 10 years. This truck has less than 400k miles on it.

Has anyone played with or repaired the lights on the Smart Wheel buttons?

Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. VisionLogistics

VisionLogistics Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Jellystone
    Go to your local truck salvage yard and see if you can find the same part out in the boneyard. Alternatively, you could buy some raw LED's, etc. and tap the board power, if that is available, basically quick-fab your own illumination. Custom colors that way. :biggrin_25525:

Welcome to the forum! Good luck on your truck question.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.