Linehaul hours?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Travelworld2067, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Travelworld2067

Travelworld2067 Light Load Member

May 10, 2018
    Out of curiosity for the linehaul guys out tjere im sure you start out running nights and go out 5 days a time and sleep on hotels. What are your hours avtually like tho do you only get a 10 hour break then back at it? Im sure with getting out of truck and to hotel it takes a half jour both ways so if u only get a 10 its like u get to hotel then go to sleep right away. I hate 10 hour breaks im more of a 12 hour break kinnda guy i cant fall asleep before 9pm too. I like to stay up til 2 of 3 am if i can more of a night owl

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    More like 10pm til 12 noon every day. You don't normally get to pick your hours.

Dan.S Thanks this.
  4. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    With my company FFE the linehaul guys seem to just drive whenever they want. It's really nice. when they begin their trip, they put in their ETA to the Qualcomm and as long as you meet that time, they are happy. You can give yourself 4-8 hours buffer window and they don't care. But I don't think it pays as well as some of the other companies that have linehaul jobs like Fedex and UPS.. and you don't pull doubles. That's the give/take. I hear it's very chill. The word from the grapevine is they make like 700 a week less than I do teaming in a different division. Since I am not solo linehaul I can't confirm that, but apparently linehaul guys do a lot of waiting on loads. I don't know how much of that is true or how much is just people bickering, slacking off, and blaming the company for not making money when they aren't driving.

EDIT: I was trained in linehaul and my trainer told me he was pulling in 80k a year. He's been driving since 1990.

CJ701 Thanks this.
  5. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    My med card expires end of January. I should give that guy a call and thank him for his training. I can't believe it's been a year already and I am still employed and accident free.

CJ701 Thanks this.
  6. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    I’m confused. Is this for LTL?

line and Dan.S Thank this.
  7. line

line Medium Load Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Sounds like it. If I start on days , I’m days all week , if nights then nights. On a Denver turn I get in about six am and the outbound freight isn’t ready till 9-10 pm so it’s a long break . I get extended layover after 12 hours . Most of the other turns I’m usually able to jet out at ten hours but sometimes I’ll hang out an extra hour for breakfast . I’m a night owl too , sleep about five hours and I’m good

8. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Our linehaul drivers always return home daily. Hours vary, mine are 8:30 pm departure and return 5:30 am. One main purpose is to relay overnight freight city to city. Returning drivers to home terminal daily is to retain employees as well.
    I switched with same driver 15 years until he retired. A 20 year employee took his place and been switching with me the past 3 years. Everyone of us did OTR at some point.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    EuropeanTrucker and okiedokie Thank this.
  9. Travelworld2067

Travelworld2067 Light Load Member

May 10, 2018
    Who is ours what company are you referring to? Are you the boss man there?

10. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    when i was with an LTL company, my hours were from about 9 PM, till about 6 AM, M-F

back then, i was like 3rd man on the list, so i was home at the end of each shift..

Jazz1 Thanks this.
  11. line

line Medium Load Member

Dec 28, 2017
    He’s asking about layovers with required breaks . Not turns

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.