Linehaul Tools

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Jayfromthenw, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Jayfromthenw

Jayfromthenw Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2015
    Out West
    Hey linehual drivers,

I just passed my one year mark of driving and sent out a an application for a linehaul position. Did the interview, physical, drug test and now they are doing the final background check. He said I was hired as long as the background check came back good.

I am going to be hired on for a scheduled night time linehaul run.

Now on to why I made this thread, I currently have basic tools on my current company truck and was wondering do you carry a toolbox with you on your run?
    I am going to be slip seating this truck with the only daytime linehaul run guy.

Do you just leave your tools in the truck or take them with you every night?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lav-25

Lav-25 Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Basic tools,xtra pig tails for the dollys, lots of glad hand rubber inserts, and some lights for the trailers your pulling. If u are slipping with the same person , check to se if they'll half it with you, if not , it's your gear, put it in your car trunk and take it with u to and from work .

Mike2633 and Jayfromthenw Thank this.
  4. Jayfromthenw

Dec 26, 2015
    Out West
    That's what I was thinking, just put them in my trunk after I get off. But once I officially get hired Ill talk to the guy I'll be slip seating with.

Lav-25 Thanks this.
  5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Might want to keep some old trailer seals handy to jam into the recepticles in case you get trailer lights that don’t want to work unless you’re turning.

6. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Spare gloves and wet wipes. If you’re pullin a set you pretty much can’t look at the things without getting grease all over. At least I never could. And it’s like gum, the more you try to get it off the worse it gets, and the last thing you want is to track that stuff back in your personal car with you. Trust me. :mad:

Lav-25 Thanks this.
  7. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    I been on line haul 22 years and only carry a multi tool and some electrical tape. My phone does tires and road service.
    No way I’m carting a tool box in and out of truck every night. Equipment should be in good enough shape to make a round trip each night

8. duckdiver

duckdiver Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Surf city
    I get paid per hour and not as a mechanic. I don't carry a single tool unless you count my phone and knife

road_runner and Maxgussam Thank this.
  9. Jayfromthenw

Dec 26, 2015
    Out West
    So you don't carry gladhand seals?

Thanks for all the replies everyone .

10. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Soft tool bag. Spare gladhand seals, spare headlight bulb, screwdrivers, Pilar’s, vicegrips, 7/8 wrenches for changing airlines, 9/16 socket and ratchet to back off brakes, spare gladhands and one spare airline, spare electrical cord, make yourself a light cheater out of an old light cord too. Get a 3lb dead blow hammer too.

Lav-25 and some other trucker Thank this.
  11. 389driver

389driver Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2018
    Upstate NY
    Depends on where the shop is. I only carry a vicegrip for sliding tadems since our 24hr shop is only 10miles from where i start from and if a light is out i just write it up when i get back

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.