List of demands.

Discussion in 'Truckers Strike Forum' started by king v, May 25, 2018.

1. king v

king v Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2015
    Out of all the talk I ever heard about the next trucker strike I never hear or see anyone on here put together a comprehensive list of demands or expectations that need to be met. I also never hear anyone discuss why it doesn't work now vs why it worked back in the day. I started driving in 2007, it was much less than desirable. It got better in the next few years but is now on a nose dive again. From the low rates, to leasing scams, to CDL school student churning, to the automatic only CDL courses to keep newbs from leaving once they've been bent over... The lack of experienced staff in the offices, the children they call our driver managers, the orientation instructors that they have on a script to lie about "I used to be a driver"...
    The disgusting disregard these companies have for their employees and contractors, the audacity to lie constantly, The poor pitiful me act that these mega carriers pull with their driver shortage ######## and the lobbying they do to tiptoe around having to pay for experience (wanting 18yo in trucks) (probably pay them a wopping $350 a week) the notion to pay a driver with 10+ years experience $0.25 - $0.30 a mile all while micro managing them to the point of health issues, blaming the drivers for the company's unorganization, lack of parking throughout the country, failures of technology, when new laws they lobby for backfire,
    Take notice how drivers are punished if they have taken any time off. Experience isn't rewarded. You take 3 months or more off and they act like you've never even seen a truck before. Even if you've been driving 25 years.
    Mention how every chance these companies get, at every turn they take any freedoms or modes of progress away from us that they can. What will it take to make bad routes with low miles and extremely high traffic become hourly positions?

My point is, we're all guilty of #####in and moanin about "the industry this, the industry that"... But whenever any of us are close to being heard in full its always a half measure.
    Only 1 or 2 problems ever get covered at a time. Nobody ever lays it all out and shows how far down the drain it's gone or wants to pull the sheepskin off of these companies.
    Just a thought. If I missed anything else the purveyors of this industry need to be called out on then just let me know.

I had a good boss when I started out, I got lucky a few times with other things. My boss passed away in September and I've had to see much more of this for myself since then.
    It has not been a good time. I know some of you will pop up to defend your glorious pimp megas or tell me I must be lazy or etc but how many of you nancies actually live on the road longer than 3 months at a time? Most of you fingerpointers cry to be home every weekend. So you can save that. This isn't for you.
    -End.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I side with you. We should all be paid near $1 per mile as company driver. In all honestly. There are not enough truckers to move freight right now. In unpressidented levels.

king v Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I have first hand heard and seen the grumblings of say 100 angry drivers in a truckstop intent on striking the USA when fuel reaches 2.00 a gallon back in the late 80's or early 90's It was a dangerous time to put it mildly.

Finally they did sell fuel at 2.00 or more and what happens? Nothing. Everything rolled on.

Fuel is about 2.95 to 3.10 today in my area roughly for big trucks made after 2007 (Low sulphur etc) but I don't know the Cetane value of the fuel sold as they no longer post that information.

I remember filling the morning of 9-11, 300 gallons plus at something close to 7.00 a gallon for both tractor and another 70+ into the 100 gallon tank. My company (That hauls medicine for McKesson) paid it without any resistance or complaint that morning in Stoneyridge hours after the first attacks were completed. Talk about really bad timing.

The most egregious or worst fuel gouging I have ever seen is a little independant off I-30 about Caddo Valley towards Hope Arkansas. For the life of me I cannot remember this name of that gravel truckstop now. Katrina had passed and we had 4.00 gasoline for a while because 4 of 5 pipelines that support Arkansas in NLR has been taken off line at Hammond LA, Sabine Pass TX, Baytown Tx and Houston TX. We were still able to get some fuel on that 5th pipeline and draw on the tank farm off US 70 at 440 and off I-40 at Prothro Junction for our needs state wide.

This one truckstop down there on 30 tried 10.00 fuel for big trucks. If I recall the story telling correctly, the Arkansas State Government stepped in and made sure that BS gouging got stopped. Not just stopped but traced back to those who bought it to be refunding them. I don't know if the State took punitive action to close that place outright.

I know we don't have very good truckstops (They really get shady, bad and worser the closer you get to Pine Bluff UGH...) but for what they are, Im glad we have something at least here and there. Just not found any that I could call a home stop with good people, wine, women, song and all sorts of good things to buy and culturing to visit in the local area.

king v and Oldironfan Thank this.
  5. king v

king v Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2015
    @x1Heavy do you think any real changes are comin? A friend of mine works at Transport America and he went from 0.57 pm to 25 hourly last week. I keep hearing rumors that its comin, but I doubt it.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  6. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Something is going to have to happen, the wages are to low, and the immigrant spigot is getting turned off. I see good things coming in the industry, even though others will disagree.

Oldironfan and king v Thank this.
  7. king v

king v Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2015
    I think instead of waiting ill just put life on hold and go haul sand. Still researching certifications. Hs2, fit awareness and pec.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  8. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    You need your own truck, the reason I own one is directly related to your initial post. I suffer from none of the issues you stated. And hauling sand is going to be hit and miss, along with the BS involved as a company driver in the patch.

king v Thanks this.
  9. king v

king v Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2015
    Any advice on how to get started on that? I wont lease from a mega and I don't have any credit. I watched my boss barely hold it together with his trucks at times but then again he only wanted to haul cheap freight and wanted to stay on the east coast. No bueno. I figure I learned more by now than he could have taught me. I did here someone say once that you can get an agreement ot job offer letter from companies like prime and take it to a dealership. Not sure how true if at all that may be.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  10. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I'm going to throw something out here, it is a lease deal, and I have run into a few folks that have worked for this outfit. I know who owns the company, as I haul quite a bit of their freight as a lease op with another carrier. Give RoadRunner a call, Homepage - Roadrunner Transportation Systems

They run expedite freight, and the rates are a bit better than average. They have a lease program, no clue what the terms are, but they may be worth a look.

And then there is this, running a business and how to make money with these lease deals. Read this book, I know the author personally and have seen him in action, along with his settlement sheets. He knows how to make money out here. The book is free, http://rawze.com/book/The First Time Class-8 Lease-Purchase Owner-Op Guide.pdf

I hope this helps.

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I don't know anymore to be honest.

There are changes already. I was at doctors yesterday and learned of a Law that was quietly passed to ban a combination of Benzos and Pain medicine as of Jan 1, the entire USA is being cut off cold turkey as of this month exactly as the law is being implemented across the board. That's a minor change for me. They subsituted medicine for something better.

Changes on my end consists of pending medical visits for scans and stuff. As far as trucking changes... nothing really changes.

I recall eyeballing a mega carrier on our highway 64 from 67 while getting gasoline yesterday, all of his wheels were capped with covers, he had fairings everywhere on the tractors even between the drives behind the sleeper and the van trailer had more skirts and vanes than I can shake a stick at in addition to the big wings you have to unfold behind the doors. And the trailer wheels had more covers.

All in the name of trying to save a dollar in fuel. Probably caused the retail price on that entire vehicle to be upped about 20,000 dollars. The truck wont be in the fleet long enough in terms of number of years before it's disposed of never getting back that in fuel savings.

Oldironfan and king v Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.