List of upgrades for the 3500/4500 before hauling cars

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Davidsti1, May 15, 2017.

1. Davidsti1

Davidsti1 Bobtail Member

May 30, 2015
    hello all.
    Was trying to search with no luck, I wanted to ask for reccomendatioms for parts needed to upgrade before pulling cars.
    So far from some reading I have.
    1) oil/transmission cooler/electric fans.
    2) different diff gears
    3)helper air bags kit.
    4) deleted
    What can you recommend me other than my short list.

Thanks a lot
    David

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SLANT6

SLANT6 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    The Nut House
    Upgrade to a class 8 tractor instead of throwing money in the trash.

Colorato, Ziggy319, HaulinCars and 4 others Thank this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    You can never have too much cooling IMO. The first thing any vehicle I buy gets if it doesn't already have it is an auxillary transmission cooler. If I find the OEM auxillary cooler isn't up to the task, I put a bigger one in.

Terry270 Thanks this.
  5. crb

crb Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    USA
    Pretty sure #4 is off limits discussion here

6. Davidsti1

Davidsti1 Bobtail Member

May 30, 2015
    Updated I didn't know thanks

7. Kawinige01

Kawinige01 Heavy Load Member

May 30, 2016
    South Fla
    Hope you upgrade your tires to. This was a truck with less than 40k on it. Still had plenty of life in IMG_1433.JPG the tread then this happened

8. Kawinige01

Kawinige01 Heavy Load Member

May 30, 2016
    South Fla
    Buy a bigger truck

HaulinCars Thanks this.
  9. HaulinCars

HaulinCars Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Central Florida
    Instead of getting a truck that is barely up to the task and TRYING to help it to do the job with modifications just get a class 7 or 8 truck that is designed from the start to do the job.

A pick up truck, even a 4500 or 5500 is not really designed to be running around at maximum load all day, every day of the week, week after week. A class 7 or 8 truck is designed for exactly that kind of duty.

And once you start looking at prices you will find you can get a class 7-8 for LESS than a pick up truck. Especially if you add on the cost of all the modifications your wanting/needing to do.. And when your done it's STILL gonna be just a pick up truck..

In a class 7-8 you want either pre 2008 (2007 or older) or jump to about 2012 or newer. No matter what, (even if it is free!) avoid 2008, 2009. Think VERY HARD about a 2010 or 2011. My preference would be a 2014 or newer.

And under no circumstance get a truck with an International Maxforce engine. Not a Ford/Chevy thing. The Maxforce issues are well known and if you look at used prices you'll find that they can barley give them away.. there is a reason... (I THINK they finally fixed the issues with the newer engines but with all the other options out there why bother with a problem child?)

Anyway, search this forum, this subject is brought up no less that 3x a week and the advise is almost always the same and this goes back for years and years and comes from dozens of different people... Yet people still don't take the advise...

A few months ago on a run from Tampa to Jacksonville I saw 8, (yes 8) vehicles pulled over by the Florida DOT. EVERY SINGLE ONE was a dually pulling a car trailer except 1, and that was a dually pulling a 40' float with a bunch of heavy looking machinery on it.

Yeah, DOT HATES duallys because they know 95% are close to or over limit, can't stop, most are poorly maintained, most drivers don't properly use log books and a host of other infractions are most likely just waiting to be found. They know chances are very good of striking it rich in the "tickets to be written lottery". Of course some drivers are in fact compliant with all rules/regs, log books and so forth, but not most. Driving one makes you a big target - deservedly or not.

On the other hand, in a class 7/8 your just another truck and no more subject to harassment than anybody else.

Just my $0.02 worth and the value of my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it... Nothing.

Good luck with your pick up truck modification project.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    SLANT6 Thanks this.
  10. Bluegrasscf

Bluegrasscf Bobtail Member

Jan 31, 2017
    What is the recommended tire upgrade on the 4500s and 5500s. I have searched and havent found a good amswer yet. Thanks

11. HaulinCars

HaulinCars Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Central Florida
    Well if your dead set on getting a pick up truck at least get the very best tires available. And inspect your brakes MONTHLY.

As for what tires.... The HIGHEST PLY and LOAD RATING you can find. There is no such thing as having to high of a tire rating on a pick up truck doing the work of a semi tractor. Even on a semi you want the best rated tires you can get. And preferably an American owned and based company, at least for the front. Not some cheap Chinese junk. Tires are your life. Get good ones and look at them every day. Check the pressure at least 2x a week and anytime you think they might even sort of look low.

A Cat's Eye or Crossfire pressure balancer is a great idea on any set of dual tires (pick up truck, trailer, semi). Read up on them, see what they do and how they do it. Well worth the money in longer tire life and ease of daily pressure check ease. Not just a gimmick, they really work.

And no matter what the front tires look like if you buy a used truck replace them. You really have no idea what condition the internals of the tire are. Did the previous owner hit a curb at 20 mph and break some internal structure? How do you know? Answer is you don't. What you do know is what is likely to happen if one of them blows out while your lead footing it at 78mph. If your lucky it is the right side tire and you take a high speed ride into the woods likely killing only yourself. If your not lucky it is the left tire and you sail through the center median and impact the front bumper of a minivan full of kids going to Disney at an effective 140 mph..

Replace the front tires anytime your not absolutely 100% sure of their absolute actual condition.

But again, that's just my $0.02 worth... You know the rest already...

laylow909 and SLANT6 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.