Listen Up Newbies!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by KaoMinerva, Jul 21, 2018.

1. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    The best advice I can give you drivers is to STACK AS MUCH MONEY AS YOU CAN REGARDLESS OF COMPANY. When you have money, the companies can't have you by the balls. I made it at Werner and I made it at Marten. Werner bought my dream car at the time, Marten bought my house, and my current company bought a newer car. You control your destiny drivers. Save your money, be safe out there.

Attached Files:

bbq247365, Chinatown and MBAngel Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Actually I prefer the word "manage" over "save".

4. MBAngel

MBAngel Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thank you for the advice

5. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    I started working for the Russians
    Year later had two trucks and 4 cars

Moral of the story is as bad as we think about white Volvo’s and adidas jump suits. They will go out of their way to help you.

Edit: money managing is key

mladen86, Chinatown and Hurst Thank this.
  6. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Great advice. Too bad we live in a gimme gimme NOW, society. People won’t save/manage until their current spending habits get them in grave trouble. Live and learn I guess.

7. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    At Werner, I saved 11K with rent and bills still coming in off .30/.33! I did split boldb with my gf at the time. My first 10 months of Marten I went HARD over the road living out of my truck. Saved 22K and bought my house CASH from my uncle. It can be gone but you have to have the discipline. These companies have NEVER had me by the balls. I entered trucking with money put away from saving over 4 years. Even as a trainee with Werner I wasn't pressed about the money. Me and my old trainer still laugh about that. He used to call me Mr. Money Bags.

When you have money put up, you aren't hurt by a light week. This week, I've run a little under 2.5k moldm because freight is weak right now. Won't hurt me one bit. Take it from me rookies, same as much as you can and your trucking journey will be a lot smoother.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

They figure the banks, an other industries get bailed out...so will they.

Some also believe in unicorns, flying seals, and moons with lakes of beer...

Doesn't mean it will happen or exists though.

Saying all that....You are the captain of your own financial fate. Stop worrying about keeping up with the Jones's. They won't be paying your rent/housing/food/whateverelse.

I'd like to manage to save more money.

Sirscrapntruckalot - Want and need...who knew so many people would find it hard to balance.

9. serch4tool

serch4tool Bobtail Member

Jul 20, 2018
    I agree, some of them honest guys.

10. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Carrier I am lease to now is Lithuanian. And yes he is in the Chicagoland area.

I was a company driver first. Grossed $78k my first year. A year later I bought one of his trucks and went O/O. Bought a trailer and now 8 yeas later I have a driver and a 2nd truck with brand new MAC trailer.

So I agree. Say what you want about the white Volvo crowd. You don't see those boys on welfare or taking ebt cards. They came here to work and make money.

Hurst

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You can figure your load, to delivery and set aside a certain amount for savings.

For us 9-11 was the ultimate problem with savings. It was there for us to use to keep on trucking and stay productive with medicines until everything payroll was replaced and back pay taken care of. If we were stupid and did not have savings that day we would be sitting at home on unemployment. That's not living.

My world right now is all about medical billing. I wrestle with them once a month. But slowly and surely one by one they are taken care of.

88 Alpha and Oldironfan Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.