Listening to the internet about health care was stupid, at least in this case.

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by ethos, Jan 8, 2018.

1. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    Exactly a week ago, I developed strep throat. I knew I had it because I have had this experience many times. I decided that the best course of action was to listen to the internet ethics and do the "all natural" way of healing. I would get antibodies that might set me up for long term protection and I would avoid taking antibiotics which, according to the new way of thinking, is not so good for you long term.

Well, I wish I had just gone to the doctor from the start. I developed a tonsil abscess which, through a long series of events, has required an ambulance trip, multiple rounds of super strong I. V antibiotics, a surgical procedure and one very nice trip on the morphine highway.

A whole week wasted in pain, no sleep, missed time with my kids and now big medical bills. Point is, you are not a doctor, find one you trust and go with them. If they say antibiotics, take them. I wish I would. This whole episode has really shaken my belief in holistic medicine.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Wow, is a tonsil abscess on the same lines as a tooth abscess? If so yikes!!! I had a tooth abscess one time and I think its the worst pain I've ever been in. Literally.

4. Shock Therapy

Shock Therapy Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2016
    n.cntrl il
    Strep is nothing to mess with!

5. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    Not sure, thinking I was qualified to make medical decisions is what got me in trouble to begin with. It hurt, it hurt real bad.

Shock Therapy Thanks this.
  6. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    If its infection in the blood line then yup its the same. Hurts so bad you can't sleep.

7. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    I just woke up, slept 6 hours straight, first time this week. I was still under the effects of morphine. My car is still at the hospital as I had to Uber home.

Shock Therapy and HalpinUout Thank this.
  8. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Antibiotics are your friend in certain cases.....

What’s the holistic prescription for strep throat ...?

9. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    So here is the first clue, there are lots. Stupid me should have seen those flashing red warnings. Basically, it is honey, garlic, salt and green tea. What it all amounts to is B. S. Get the antibiotics.

Broke Down 69 and Shock Therapy Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Strep A is a old enemy of mine as is TB. I was taken down by Strep A for a week as a teen twice in my life and frankly this is where the anti biotics come in along with other medicines.

When you are being invaded within your body, it's a immune system combat being waged. You need all the help you can get from drugs or medicines designed for battle, not feel good like holistic stuff.

Don't enjoy that morphine highway too much, it's a blessing to have it when you need it. But she will be such a cold mistress if you got addicted. And some people do.

tucker and Shock Therapy Thank this.
  11. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    No worries there. It was a one time thing. When he was cutting the inside of my tonsils, it was my ear that started to hurt very bad. He said that all the nerves are tied up there and easy to hit. Of course I had the local anesthesia but that didn't extend to the ears. They injected the morphine in the I. V and I was just amazed by how fast it works, literally seconds.

Shock Therapy, x1Heavy and tucker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.