Lithium batteries and hazmat...

Discussion in 'Hazmat Trucking Forum' started by COBB2070, Apr 30, 2019.

1. COBB2070

COBB2070 Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2018
    SoCal...The OC
    Just got a call from my dispatcher, and he asked if I'd take a load of test equipment from LAAFB to Vandenberg AFB tomorrow. Sure, why not. Then he told me the BOL will say HazMat/TWIC required, but to disregard it because part of the shipment is 6 lithium batteries under 25 lbs. All I have to do is inspect them to ensure they are separate from one another and property individually sealed and that there is a packing barrier between each one like cardboard. He stressed that I must visually inspect the batteries and ensure they are packed properly before I accept the load. 1st, is there an exemption based on weight for lithium batteries? 2nd, I don't have a HazMat endorsement so I don't know the rules, honestly I wouldn't know the proper packing procedure to begin with if he hadn't told me what to look for. I Googled it, but all I came up with was shipping by UPS/FedEx/USPS, etc. 3rd TWIC indicates to me it is coming from a/the port, but LAAFB is right by LAX (I have a DoD clearance, so in most cases TWIC doesn't apply to me), but I've carried shady #### out of LAAFB before. 4th, I've been mistakenly been assigned HazMat loads before and when seeing it on the BOL, called my dispatcher and told him, he had that "oh ####" moment and reassigned it. First time I've ever been told to disregard a spec on a BOL. I have until 5am PST to call him back if I want to turn it down without penalty (meaning he'll just give me #### loads for a few days). Thanks...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You do not have a exemption from inspecting. IF you tried to ship one battery of that type in any situation such as US Postoffice, it is hazmat and refused. Same with shipping office, refused. It becomes a problem when you find you cannot ship them overseas either. That is a problem.

I suggest you stay out from under this load. It is a unnecessary headache to you. Or me rather. I would refuse it.

You already hold DOD so access is not a problem for you.

I'll look up lithium batteries for you.

Snailexpress and COBB2070 Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Lithium Table

Assuming batteries by themselves in your case.

HazMat Search / Database – HazMat Tool

You have lithium battery of several kinds.

You probably wont know if it is sealed, ion and other combinations until you visually inspect the load itself. There are several diamonds affected depending on the exact battery that they want to load.

frankly, refuse this load and find another one less stressful. If i cannot determine which of several battery combinations that is being shipped in actual fact, I cannot help you. Here is a example.

UN 3480: Lithium ion batteries including lithium ion polymer batteries - Substance information – HazMat Tool

UN 3090: Lithium metal batteries including lithium alloy batteries - Substance information – HazMat Tool

And so on.

IF the batteries are with different equiptment such as say... Artillery Designators or some wild stuff who knows what to pack because the hazmat tool link I use generally does include listings for lithium this that and other.

That's why without precise information from your poor dispatcher, and until you are standing there on the dock eyeballing those #### rascals you wont be able to determine which exactly to put on that truck.

Some batteries are flat banned from plane, flat banned from ships and rail. And so on.

If the dispatcher protests, tell him the Military will be pleased to transport the stuff themselves. They can move a Army into battle with beans and bullets, they should already know by now how to move batteries into different places that need them.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    COBB2070 Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    BTW this battery prospect is a #### load lolz.

COBB2070 Thanks this.
  6. COBB2070

Jul 8, 2018
    SoCal...The OC
    Another reason I asked for some clarification is that I do a run for Virgin Galactic between Long Beach and Mojave and back between their launches. Mostly the rocket engine and various parts for their space plane (it's not a ship, it never really leaves earth's orbit). And on occasion the BOL said "HazMat exempt". I've been pulled in for additional inspection at the pop up weight station on 14 almost every time they're there (I guess they think I'm a hot shot trying to seal a load and pull one over on them) and when they ask what's my load, I tell them "Space ####". Every time they come back in 3-5 minutes and hand me my paperwork and license and tell be to be safe and send me on my wat.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. COBB2070

Jul 8, 2018
    SoCal...The OC
    Thanks, I called him and told him unless he can guarantee it's a non HazMat load based on the BOL, and not his word, I have to turn it down. We have a number of drivers that can take the load I think one aspect is my dispatcher was looking out for me. 9am pick up Tuesday, 9am Delivery Wednesday. After taxes I would have made $300. But if I was illegal, I would have be effed.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Im glad that's over with. It's late have a great day.

COBB2070 Thanks this.
  9. COBB2070

Jul 8, 2018
    SoCal...The OC
    Funny thing is, a driver who's been with them for 5 years siad he's never seen them get military work until I arrived, and I'm the only one getting it.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ive done quite a bit of military stuff. Including one wild time in the 1994 where we were delivering war loads to the ports more or less. When the Korean Dear Leader had his fatal heart attack, the following day Dispatch had me on a bagged popcorn load by the box stacked to ceiling going to Meijers. BLEAH. Motivating. So NOT.... I knew I would change companies then. It was good, but like some women that too will change. HA.

COBB2070 Thanks this.
  11. thebatteryguy

thebatteryguy Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2019
    There are two separate DOT placarding exceptions that would allow you to haul this shipment without placards or a hazmat endorsement (49 CFR 173.155 and 49 CFR 172.504).

To clarify, a placarding exception DOESN'T mean that the shipment is "not hazmat," it just means that the driver isn't required to hold a hazmat endorsement. Other rules of the hazardous materials regulations still apply. If the broker / shipper can't tell you the exact rules as to why it's "not hazmat," then you probably shouldn't take it.

*I've arranged over 23,000 shipments of batteries and battery parts.

McUzi Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.