little help please

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by BlackNova, Dec 3, 2008.

1. BlackNova

BlackNova Bobtail Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Pocatello, ID
    I just got out of the Air Force. I had a job lined up with BNSF as a conductor. I just found out they cancelled the training class due to the economic turmoil. I will be first in line when they hire again, but I have a family to support. Does anyobdy have any advice on where to apply in the Chicago area that has CDL training?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Squish

Squish Bobtail Member

Dec 1, 2008
    spotsylvania. va
    BlackNova, Werner has done the same thing to me. Im in the same boat as you....minus the famly and airforce. im just going to try to find a local job close to where I live. I seems every one is downsizing now and its a slow time of year from what driver placement has told me. :biggrin_2553:

4. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    I think I would try to find something local and hang on,...When the railroad decides to say jump,.you'll need to be ready and able to jump!!!!,...not stuck on the other side of the country trying to get home on time...

Ant advice for someone who might try to get into railroading???.....

5. BlackNova

BlackNova Bobtail Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Pocatello, ID
    I don't know about the other railroads, but I know BNSF has a hard on for military veterans. That's the main reason they picked me. There was hundreds of people at the orientation/testing, and they only picked 24. I heard NARS training gives you an advantage as well. I applied once and got accepted. I talked to other people on the railroad forum and they have been trying for 10+ years. Too bad the economy is in the crapper right now, I had a good job lined up. I hope I have better luck in the future.

6. walleye

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    I hear you on the economy,...I all but had a good job lined up as well,...and now they are not sure when or if they will hire.......

I thought with the aging railroad workforce that they were on a hiring blitz to replace retires???

7. BlackNova

BlackNova Bobtail Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Pocatello, ID
    You are correct, over the next few years alot of RRers are retiring. They are on schedule with the hiring though. BNSF told me that they are pushing back the classes because they don't want to overhire which will cause people to be furloughed.

8. jash369

jash369 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2007
    roslyn,pa
    Though not impossible to find local CDL work, it is however extremely difficult if you do not already have experience.

Most companies Local especially, want/need 2 years exp.Now only youguys know what your family lives are, so only you can decide if OTR is an option until other work comes thru.
    And also even though you may have driven 18 wheels in the military, the civilian industry does not want to recognize the same ways......GO FIGURE

Good luck to both of you.

9. BlackNova

BlackNova Bobtail Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Pocatello, ID
    I have no experience with trucking at all. I was an F-16 mechanic in the military. I am willing to drive OTR, local, whatever may be. I am looking for a way to put food on the table while waiting for the RR job. I was wondering if anyone had advice on what company to apply for in the Chicago area that will train me to drive.

10. jash369

jash369 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2007
    roslyn,pa
    Chicago is a major city with alot of freight in and thru........check out all the major starter companies research what it is you need, ie. (hometime, benefits, amenities, etc. and they will send you away for training or local and get you home based on their hometime policies and dispatchers.

DON'T BELIEVE RECRUITERS.............LMAO

Do your own research this site is a great help but your needs are the important ones to decide on.

11. walleye

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    You might check with the local beverage and food distributors,....If they think you posses the customer service skills required,..they may be willing to train you to drive......Driving the truck is the easiest part of those kind of jobs,...Dealing with customers is the hard part...

I spent 12 years as a route delivery driver for a liquor distributor and they trained several guys that didn't have cdl's while I was there..

I know the local soda and beer outfits here will do the same..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.