LLC formation and registered agent is it good to use the home address for both?

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by Kiltmedic, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Kiltmedic

Kiltmedic Bobtail Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Hi there I am trying to form an LLC and start up a business and one of the questions and concerns I am having is using the registered agent as myself as well as the business address for my home.

Is this a safe practice in this industry? What are some of the legal cautions and ramification by doing this?

I really want to protect myself and my family from any wrongdoing or harm. Is going through a registered agent service a good option? What protections do I have by doing so?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Razorwyr

Razorwyr Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Meridian, Mississippi
    As a truck driver, you don't have much of a choice but to go through a registered agent service. You can't be your own registered agent if you aren't there. The laws vary slightly in each state, so you will need to check with your states laws, but it's a pretty safe bet that your state requires the agent to be at the address of record during normal business hours. The purpose of the agent is to receive any legal notifications on your behalf. If you're not there, you can't be served. As a business, you have to have someone who can be available to be served on your behalf.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  4. Kiltmedic

Kiltmedic Bobtail Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Understand I would probably have my wife be the registered agent being she is a wonderful stay at home mother. And would be home. My big concern was protecting my personal interests as you are supposed to separate everything i.e. Bank/finances. And safety being the registered agent address is public. I know that today's times all you need is a persons name to find out everything because real estate is public licensing is as well. The owner of a company is public knowledge ect. What potential ramifications are brought up by using a personal address for a business address as well as the registered agent address????

5. Kiltmedic

Kiltmedic Bobtail Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Oh yes and thank you for taking the time to read and reply

6. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    You need a registered agent for every state. That is why it says better to just use a service

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    First off an LLC will not protect you and your family. it is a myth to sell the LLC to people who think they are protected. If you want privacy, you won't get it in this business, you have to be exposed on several levels including your authority as an office of the company.

Second the registered agent is someone who can receive paper work for the company if you are being served legal paper work like a law suit or a summons. this is something that has to happen in every state you operate in and there are a lot of companies that do this. It is cheap. as your concern with privacy, there isn't any.

Third go get legal advice to see what you really need.

You can't hide behind a legal entity any more, the internet has forced the world to change, there is really no privacy as you think.

8. Kiltmedic

Kiltmedic Bobtail Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Correct no privacy . I am looking into starting a company and getting a few trucks and drivers. Just wanting to get some idea of llc. Inc. corporation ect. What is best.

9. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Legal Zoom can help you in this.

Note - you will have to contact your state also to file the LLC and done yearly

What is a registered agent?
    A registered agent is a person or business authorized to accept important tax and legal documents on behalf of a business. Most states require a business to provide the name of its registered agent when it is formed. Although you can be your own registered agent, there are disadvantages. You have to be available to accept documents during regular business hours and your information goes on the public record as the registered agent. There are professional registered agent services available that can ensure someone is available to receive important business documents on your behalf.

10. truckersjustice

truckersjustice Light Load Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Burnsville, MN
    Best to use a registered agent service such as Process Agent Service Co. or someone like that.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.