Load chained to DOT bumper

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by DownDRoad, Oct 26, 2021.

1. DownDRoad

DownDRoad Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2021
    So flat bed just passed me and load had 4 flat bed trailers chained down. I wasn’t driving but looked up and only saw the rear of load. It had 2 chains in a x formation from top of load down to the “DOT” bumper. I don’t drive flat bed but thought DOT bumpers were not meant for that and could possibly bend out. The load was also shifting as a side note.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Without a picture it's hard to say. He could solely do hauls like that and have a bracket up under the bumper that's rated and thus would be fine. Or he could be a complete idiot that has no clue how to secure the load. Kinda hard to tell....

4. DownDRoad

DownDRoad Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2021
    Pulled in a truck stop behind it. Wasn’t a flatbed. Was a box hauler hauling 4 box haulers. And did have a good wedge welded behind bumper. Just didn’t see it well enough at first. Looks absolutely good except for the load shift.

5. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Assume you mean chassis for containers?

If so, yes its "fine" but i typically tossed a few chains across the frames as well, would have helped with the load settling.

The x pattern side to side never really strikes me as being as stable as same side corner pulldowns on stacked frames. Too much chance for wiggle and bounce loosening things

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.