Load securement

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by jimjam38, Oct 27, 2017.

1. jimjam38

jimjam38 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2011
    chickasha, oklahoma
    Over in section 393, talking about securement and the various types, I got to looking for damaged devices. It says any device that damage could adversely effect the wll of the restraint. I want to say I heard somewhere there is a measurement. I ask because I was examining my straps. Use the standard 4" webbing. One of them along the side of the strap had a frayed piece running down the side about 1/2" didn't come into the strap past the edge, just right there at the edge. I had heard any tear or rip couldn't extend crossways more than a 1/4 (or 1/2). The regs though just say adversely effect securement though. I replaced the strap out of caution, but wondered if anyone had heard of any specific measurements.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    With the price of straps and of tickets, i think your having replaced them was a wise move. I think the only time we really will get guidance is when we get an inspection and DOT either passes or cites you.

4. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    The CVSA criteria is something like 3/4 inch of cut into the strap. I don't think that's any good myself, and I've heard plenty of times where cops wrote someone up for less, but that's what the book says and that's what my company seems to want to go by.

5. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Ain't that the truth. The DOT man will give you plenty of guidance, along with a ticket big enough that your're not likely to do the same mistake twice.

Mattflat362, stwik and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Replace the strap. It's cheaper to buy a nice new one than to pay a potential ticket over a fray.

People will most certainly get frayed if they find out what the citation will cost them.

stwik and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  7. johnnyman1099

johnnyman1099 Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2017
    If the DOT officer write you up for the tear on the strap, that is an Out of Service violation and will put a Do Not Hire sticker on your PSP record. You will not get fine for the violation, but you will be unhireable due to PSP points too high. Most carriers, Landstar, CRST, etc.. wants you to have a PSP score of 90 or less. Well, any out of service violation is more than 50 points. That points times 3 for the first year will put you over 100 points for the first year. I know because i have had to deal with it..

8. DrFlush

DrFlush Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I had a "discussion" with a Utah bear a few years back, he said 3/4" is the maximum on a 4" strap and we could either measure the cut or I could just replace the strap being as it was above and beyond what was required. After I broke out a new strap I was on my way with a shiny new L1 sticker.

snowwy, spyder7723 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  9. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    I know nothing about a "PSP" score, don't know if I have one and don't care. Guarantee I could have another job lickity split and they wouldn't look at my score.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    wore out, mc8541ss, stayinback and 7 others Thank this.
  10. jimjam38

jimjam38 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2011
    chickasha, oklahoma

I had heard 1/4 was the limit. I replaced it with a new one when though the fray was just down the edge, almost like the last person to use the trailer had put the edge of the strap too close to the stake pocket and when tightened, it rubbed the edge. I don't know how wide this fray was, however just by eyeballing the strap, there was over 3 1/2" of good strap left.

11. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    It goes by the width of the strap. If i remember right, a 2 inch strap is 1/4 inch. A 4 inch strap is 3/4. There is also a measurement for 3 inch straps but i only carry 2s and 4s so never paid attention to that number.

stwik and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.