Loading, single axle truck, weight of forklift, etc.

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Trugo, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Trugo

Trugo Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2015
    new to the business. I'm driving my 2001 single axle freightliner 26ft straight truck doing ltl deliveries. This is a single rear axle truck with a 16,000kg / 35,000lb gvwr.

Most of the docks I go to use forklifts. My truck appears stressed when the forklift goes in and out. I'm thinking forklifts are too heavy for the truck.

Opinions? How do others with single axle trucks get loaded? Pump truck only??

Thanks

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Many have a set of landing legs off a trailer put on rear of truck frame to keep fork/lifts weight on legs and not your springs but you must watch the deck so lift tires wont fall thru when a heavy pallet is being loaded, if they have a smaller fork lift have them use it not the largest one in warehouse?

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  4. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I always just used a pallet jack. They just sat the pallets on the rear and I put them where I wanted.
    A bit of sweat equity is good for your health.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  5. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    Our straight trucks say "NO FORKLIFTS ALLOWED" on the roll-up door. I assume there's a reason for that. Get a pallet jack.

6. Trugo

Trugo Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2015
    Good advice

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Ours too.

The dock idiots routinely ignore that however.

Mike2633 and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Truth be told, I don't think I'd worry much about it. It's a good bet your truck has a 23k lb rated axle under it.

One time I would suggest caution is at the docks that use this kind of plate, AND it's higher than your truck.

[​IMG]

If the place has THIS kind, the cause for concern is less, IMHO, because the angle isn't as steep and the forklift would be less likely to bottom out and get stuck.

[​IMG]

9. Trugo

Trugo Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2015
    Typically I see the second kind. Don't think I've seen that top one yet. Ran all day today telling all the dockies to keep out, and it was not bad at all. Maybe it takes a little more time. I'll save the forklift entries for the odd no option occasion.

Bob Dobalina and Mike2633 Thank this.
  10. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    Most places that have forklifts also have electric pallet jacks that weigh a third or less of what the forklift weighs. Those, or a hand jack...I personally wouldn't care to have a standard forklift in a straight truck, not so much for the axle weight rating as the decking/flooring in the box.

Bob Dobalina and Mike2633 Thank this.
  11. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    Yeah, I was thinking it was more about the floor handling that much weight.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.