Loading & transporting 32ft-40ft Logs

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by GENTNERDUNN, Aug 1, 2018.

1. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    back in the mid 90's I was hauling log homes out of BC to the USA in between heavy -haul loads and we had to instruct drivers to loop bottom chains to prevent aluminium pocket breakout. our steel trailers didn't have a problem.we used 7.5 ft high minimum, 2.5 inch diameter flattened on one end to fit the stake pockets logload.png

GENTNERDUNN and kylefitzy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GENTNERDUNN

GENTNERDUNN Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2018
    I see what your saying, thanks for the visual too that helps!

4. stwik

stwik Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2017
    USA USA USA!!!
    We haul them all the time outta Alabama to Laredo.

I like to do a belly/choke/whatever the cool ones are calling it these days, towards the middle. Throw 8-10 straps elsewhere and you’re normally good. We use pipe stakes as Ashtre said... they normally load us directly on the deck.

okiedokie and GENTNERDUNN Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The only time I got involved in hauling logs that big (Long) was with Containers. I would go up into eastern PA and a particular forestery shipper who cut long logs like you describe. That wood would be shoved into the shipping container fresh cut three or so in total making for a pretty heavy load going to Europe.

I had no trouble getting those logs back to Baltimore in the box at all. Once in a while you hear this creak as it settles really well in the trailer on the way down. Maybe even a pretty stiff THUMP or two. Once you get past all that without wrecking or leaning excessively it's pretty much safe to crane onto the ship and go bye bye.

GENTNERDUNN Thanks this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Rent one of these?

july15-28-Copy-1030x546.jpg

x1Heavy and GENTNERDUNN Thank this.
  7. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    From what I recall of the regulations, the logs cannot exceed the height of the pipe stakes and the bottom row must touch all the stakes on both sides of the trailer.

If you do use stakes that plug into the stake pockets on regular flat deck, you will want to chain them across the deck to avoid having the logs rip the pockets off the side of the trailer.

LoneCowboy, okiedokie, x1Heavy and 2 others Thank this.
  8. GENTNERDUNN

GENTNERDUNN Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2018
    x1Heavy, thats the way they have been moving it by container out of a different location, now they are wanting to just take it to a loc near the port that will then cut it and place in containers to be shipped over to China. I think it would be easier if it was just the container trust me ha.

Zeviander, Definitely plan on strapping/chaining the hell out of it don't worry. But I did get a man on the phone from the Utah Department of Transportation who said he has just seen guys chain/strap it down with pipe stakes holding them in place that are usually 4ft-6ft high. He said that would be fine and legal as long as there was no overhang. Didn't mention anything about the height though that's a good point, Ill have to look into that. Thanks guys!

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Getting the weight is also going to be something to consider. Raw timber is going to vary alot.

10. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Load the pumpkins/lg logs on the deck then "fit"/cradle the smaller ones in between the big ones. Gut wrap is definitely advised. Chains bite into the logs better than straps. Pondos are light wood (pine).

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.