Local delivery

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Cluck Cluck, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Cluck Cluck

Cluck Cluck LTL Wizard

May 6, 2010
    Dunkirk, Indiana
    Hi fellas, I have a 3/4 ton pick up with a 24ft gooseneck trailer that I plan on using as a local delivery truck for example I live in easy central Indiana and do a lot of ltl freight from west to east or even east to west but I want to be able to transfer freight off of my big rig onto my smaller truck especially if it's 1 piece going 200 miles away from where the semi needs to reload at........is there anything I need to know?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
  4. Cluck Cluck

Cluck Cluck LTL Wizard

May 6, 2010
    Dunkirk, Indiana
    like????? I have my own operating authority etc and have been operating 2.5 years just wondering if something will sneak up on me

5. WMGUY

WMGUY Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Nine Mile Falls, WA
    i have been researching the hotshot ltl for awhile now and am thinking about it, you will need to have your pickup licensed commercially the weight will be up to you

if you stay under 26K no IRP or IFTA is needed,

insurance will be needed

since it is staying under your authority i don't think there will be any surprises

on a 3/4 ton with a goose neck your rear axle weight will be really close empty so you will need to watch that

make sure you have trailer GVW and GAWR stickers that can be seen

umm thats all i can think of

6. Cluck Cluck

Cluck Cluck LTL Wizard

May 6, 2010
    Dunkirk, Indiana
    Thats what I was thinkin......most of my loads are like a 1500lb service body or a small tractor or whatever so I appreciate someone replying

7. WMGUY

WMGUY Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Nine Mile Falls, WA
    no problem i like the thought of what you are thinking about doing and i think it could lower you exspenes a little bit which is alway good

8. Cluck Cluck

Cluck Cluck LTL Wizard

May 6, 2010
    Dunkirk, Indiana
    It'll at least keep the big truck runnin

9. Dave 1960

Dave 1960 Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Shepherd, TX
    I run HOT here in Houston. I like to take smaller loads in my Pick Up without the trailer.

The biggest problem is that it might be an envelope or a 5# box going across town....
    Then a 3000# load picking up near the drop. It's hard to know what's going to happen.

10. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    There are, (or at least there USED to be,) a couple of small cartage companies in this area. Their bread and butter was pretty much single or at least small quantities of stuff from one of the LTLs to more remote rural areas that it just didn't pay for us to run a truck out to.

11. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    SHC Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.