Local driving jobs: Route job vs. Construction/other

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Roadgeek395, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Roadgeek395

Roadgeek395 Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2017
    Hello everyone,

For you local drivers out there, do you prefer route jobs like garbage, propane, food, beverage etc.? Or construction jobs like dump trucks and Ready Mix etc.?

I tend to lean towards Route jobs because I like to work alone and at my own pace. I also like to get familiar with my route/territory.

I'm sure there are pros and cons for both.
    I'm searching to find the trucking job best suited for me so I am open to all opinions and advice.

Thanks!

Mike2633 and kimbosa Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Your pace will not be your own. It's the bossman you will answer to. WHERE ARE YOU AT NOW!? lol...

road_runner, mud23609 and motocross25 Thank this.
  4. Roadgeek395

Jan 24, 2017
    Haha very true! But I am alone during my route, which I like. I just figured with dump truck or Ready Mix you are always dealing with some sort of construction crew.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. kimbosa

kimbosa Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2011
    lufkin texas
    I like ltl, boss don't mess with, and i just get it at my pace, one day i go fast, one day i go slow! I just enjoy the ride man.

Mike2633 and Roadgeek395 Thank this.
  6. Lrh502

Lrh502 Light Load Member

Jun 25, 2017
    I drove concrete mixers for six years. Mixers suck major ###. Dealing with illegals who no habla, contractors who want you to get the truck into impossible places cuz they are too cheap to rent a concrete pump, and crazy ### start times that change each day and you don't know until 1600 the afternoon before.

Mike2633 and LoneCowboy Thank this.
  7. Roadgeek395

Jan 24, 2017
    I've talked to a lot of other people who have told me the exact same thing. They also said it was a hassle to constantly wash the truck and inconsistent pay due to weather and other factors.

8. Lrh502

Lrh502 Light Load Member

Jun 25, 2017
    Yep, the last ready mix place I worked at wanted the trucks all nice and shiny-pain in the ### keeping those #### trucks clean. If it is raining or really windy,no work since slabs and flatwork cannot be poured in those conditions. You might work 50+ hours during the week and come saturday they have a lot of orders for concrete so you are working 6 days that week. And you might finish work on saturday afternoon and when you call the tape for your monday start time guess what-be at work at 0013,so there goes your sunday since you have to try to sleep all day to start that early. And some jobsites have safety nazis driving around hassling everyone-"where are your vest,hardhat,and safety glasses?" You show up to a residential jobsite at 1600 with 10 yards of concrete and have worked 10 hours already and the crew tells you they are pouring pieces of block wall footing all over the subdivision-you ain't getting home til after dark now. I could go on and on but you get the idea-#### driving concrete mixers!

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Jesus, safety nazies? Ha. I run a mixer about a year here in Arkansas what with the acid baths and all keeping that thing somewhat clean... aint seen hide or hair of them tat all. Sometimes when it's too hot we dog pile the trailer on the ready mix at sundown waiting for midnight pours to start.

I spent some quality time with a wheeled front end loader feeding that plant sand and stone as well as chasing after bucket trucks and cleaning up after them. They are so untidy when dumping. Fun times.

10. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    Don't sugar coat it, driver. Tell us how you really feel!

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  11. Roadgeek395

Jan 24, 2017
    Haha he really REALLY doesn't like ready mix!! I guess I'll stay away from that line of work.

Bob Dobalina and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.