Local Driving, New Driver A Few Questions (Looking for Job Florida)

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Craig List, May 30, 2019.

1. Craig List

Craig List Light Load Member

May 30, 2019
    Ok, so I have worked corporate office type jobs for the past 13 years.
    I want a bit of a change. I am tired of trying to climb the corporate latter. Tried of the suit and tie and tired of going to the same building everyday.
    I am thinking of getting into trucking and my DOT Physical is done and I have started practicing for the CDL permit test. I don't have a current CDL as of yet. Is there a company like food service or tanker or a local route in the Fort Lauderdale area?

I was thinking of applying for McLane or GFS or something like that my first question is this, I want to secure a job before I quit one. Is there a local company that hires and will sponsor the training?
    If not I would be willing to pay, but I want a job so I am not without income.

I know I can drive OTR but I am not looking at going OTR or even having them paying for the CDL as I do not want to commit to being with an OTR company so that is out of the question.

My only other question is what is the typical salary or these companies?
    Are they paid hourly or by the load or mile?
    How are benefits usually and vacation time?

I know I will be working, but I feel it is a bit more to have the physical stress than the mental stress.

OldeSkool Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Helget Gas > Ft. Lauderdale
    Longstanding suppler of Medical/Beverage/Helium Gas. Provides on going/additional training. Full Time Position. No layoffs. The Delivery Route Driver Trainee will train on a delivery route and in the warehouse while working on obtaining class B CDL with Hazmat and Tanker endorsements.
    Qualification
    • CDL Permit or ability to obtain
    • Ability to obtain Tanker and Hazmat endorsements
    • Clean Motor Vehicle Record/driving record
    • Ability to push, pull and move up to 75 lbs
    • High school diploma (or equivalent)

Jingerjen Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    US-FL-Hialeah
    www.drivefordot.com
    Title Class A CDL Regional Delivery Driver - CDL school tuition reimbursement for new graduates.
    Location: Hialeah, FL Terminal Department:Dot Transportation, Inc. (DTI) Reports To:DTI Leadership Your Role: A delivery truck driver at DTI primarily delivers product to Dot Foods customers and picks up product at our suppliers. - Safely and efficiently operate DTI equipment for transportation of product to customers and from suppliers - Comply with all legal and regulatory requirements imposed by the Dept. of Transportation, FMCSA, or any other governing body - Load & unload dry and temperature controlled goods - Meet established company goals including managing MPG, fuel purchases, idle time, and speed - Read and understand driver load paperwork, as well as product and packaging descriptions - Understand and safely follow directions and instructions - Applies lean thinking and tools to identify and eliminate waste in all areas of the position Role Specifics: - Typically dispatched for 2 – 4 days per trip, and will average 2 days of home time per week - Working in all weather conditions, both weekday and weekend schedules, day and night driving - Includes sitting, walking, or standing during work hours - Regular physical activity, including the ability to safely lift up to 60 pounds repeatedly What Can Dot Offer You? As a family-owned and -operated company for the past 57 years, Dot Foods has created a strong family culture within the business. As a vital part of that family unit, we want to ensure you feel included and respected for any differing ideas. We appreciate those opinions and count on them to make us successful. In addition to an inclusive working environment, we will provide you with: - Competitive annual earnings, including bonus opportunities and safety performance incentives. - Outstanding Health insurance and company-provided Life insurance - Company-sponsored retirement plan: 401k with a company match and profit sharing - Paid time off benefits that include up to 5 weeks of vacation, 8 paid holidays, and paid sick leave Safety: This position assumes responsibility for the workplace safety of self and co-workers, and for the safety conditions of the work locations, exercise and promotes safe behaviors and show unyielding support of programs, rules and policies regarding safety. EOE/AA Employer: Dot believes all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunities. Dot will not discriminate against its employees or applicants for employment because of sex, race, color, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status or other basic classes protected by applicable federal or state law provided they are qualified for employment or for existing positions. DotFoods.com/careers
    [​IMG]

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Local Truck Driver CDL Class A - Niagara Distributors - Hollywood, FL 33020 >$750 - $1,000 a week
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sysco - Pompano Beach, FL 33069 > click here > Apply On Company Site
    Champion Air Cargo - Miami
    Sysco - This position is located at 12500 Sysco Way, Medley, FL, 33178
    $94K per year. Click here > Apply On Company Site
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gate Gourmet - Ft. Lauderdale - click here > Apply On Company Site
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Armellini Express Lines
    Full-Time Local Class A Drivers - Miami, FL
    $40,000 - $43,000 a year
    CDL school students :
    License:
    • CDL Class A: I am currently acquiring this license/certification and it will be complete in the next 30 days (Required)

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Gate Gourmet & Sky Chefs are the same type company:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    Dont forget the LTL side, link up with Estes, old dominion, saia, southeastern, AAA cooper, yellow, FedEx freight or upsf.

Good luck

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    "I was thinking of applying for McLane or GFS "
    Go for it. Those companies sometimes hire new cdl school grads or cdl-a permit drivers. Depends on the terminal.

Jingerjen and Texas_hwy_287 Thank this.
  10. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    I wonder if sygma has openings in Florida.

11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I've seen a few in Orlando and Jacksonville.

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.