Local Fleet Specs

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by jonnybgood45, Aug 5, 2020.

1. jonnybgood45

jonnybgood45 Bobtail Member

Aug 5, 2020
    Hello,

First time posting out here and looking for some help with some experienced opinions on engines and equipment available today.

My father and I started with one truck a few years back and now have a local fleet of 13 trucks that has grown over the years. When we started my father was purchasing used "deals" (Maxxforce internationals) and we eventually aligned with a good repair shop to work through most of the headaches to keep our trucks running but repair bills are still high as you'd expect. We do have 1 DD13 which has been the best as far as repair and breakdowns.

We're at the point now of doing what we should have done at the beginning and learning the right specs for our application to start adding better equipment to the fleet instead of problems. We typically haul under 40K and operate within 150 air miles 90% of the time and trying to find the best fit for our fleet that will last. Our drivers are experienced but not mechanics or owner operators that will treat it as their own either.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

DD13 505/1850 you won't have to constantly be mashing on it to go and you'll get good economy prob 8mpg with the right rears. I'd go 13 speed and 3.25 or 3.36 rears if you don't want the auto DT12

4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    As a truck owner you really need to look into automatics. The dd16 & dt12 really can't be beat on fuel mileage. If you want standard, go with a 9 or 10 speed, you don't need the repair cost of a 13/18 speed for just 40k lbs.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted