Local fuel hauling jobs. Give it a try!!

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by lve2drv, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Izlomik Supatrucka

Izlomik Supatrucka Light Load Member

Oct 24, 2009
    Texas

who do you drive for? Looks like a Trimac truck in the signature pic of your truck but ive seen some
    Smith trucks that look like that also......

mje Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tlevans

tlevans Bobtail Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Ive been driving since 02 hauled alot of diff. things can i get a job hauling fuel even though i have only one company reporting on my DAC ?

mje Thanks this.
  4. Bluemax

Bluemax Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Abilene Tx
    Hey guys,
    I'm in Texas and im about to start with Coastal transport.
    Anything you guys can tell me would be greatly appreciated.
    I learned a long time ago to listen to the ones who do it everyday other than just hope for the best.

mje Thanks this.
  5. jim-oh

jim-oh Light Load Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Toledo,oh
    kenan advantage group does'nt report to dac and hired me four years ago. I've never worked for a company that uses dac.
    If you want to haul fuel and have variety,they are it.
    nationwide contracts with 7-11, murphy at the walmarts,circle k,krogers, TA truckstops,most of the speedways and petros,and all the other small account like sunoco,hess and coast oil.
    at my term. we cross train on different kinds of tankers. so thays good if fuel starts to suck.

mje Thanks this.
  6. roadrunner10-4

roadrunner10-4 Bobtail Member

Jan 13, 2010
    roadrunner10-4
    I have had my class A now for eight years. I have driven lowboy t/t, dump trucks, and otr trucks (flatbed mainly). However, I had to take two years off to get my daughter started in school. I have just gotten the tanker and hazmat endorsements added to my license as well. Is this going to be enough experience to haul fuel? Thanks!

mje Thanks this.
  7. dynosaur

dynosaur Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    First off I'd like to say, that in my opinion this is one of the best threads on this site. Good drivers giving good advice. I feel that it is a reflection of the caliber of drivers in this field. So, you're in the right place! A responsible driver with a decent MVR will find that many tanker companies will, without reservation, train a driver without tanker experience. I can't imagine a tanker company failing to give you serious consideration with 8 yrs. driving experience. Hauling chemicals is another matter, but fuel is pretty straight-forward.

As for waiting or not waiting to load, my experience was great. I hauled tankers for a number West Coast (California) companies. Hauling jet fuel for the National Guard I was loaded and unloaded, usually upon arrival. Some of the refineries like Shell Oil could have some long waits to load but I was always fairly compensated. I worked by the hour (no OT) and was paid by the load (never have I gotten screwed as often as that). There is little room for driver error so I would say one of the main prerequisites for tanker work is attention to detail. One of my greatest shortcomings is that I am a daydreamer and I paid the price often. Failing to check the hoses for seals after a washout caused me grief a few times. Or product on the ground. Nevertheless, you can't beat tankers. No pallet jacks, no lumpers, no grouchy shipping/receiving clerks. Just be aware that there are some shady companies and DOT keeps a close watch on tankers. This thread is an excellent source for good advice enabling a driver to go in with his eyes wide open. Good luck.

mje Thanks this.
  8. Phantom 69

Phantom 69 Light Load Member

Aug 10, 2009
    SC
    This is a great thread, right now with some changes with my company..pay roll to be exact, drivers are going to be averaging 2300-2500 miles/per week. i should be able to get a job at a local hauler and make about the same amount of money and be home everyday,i have spoken to some drivers at keenan and eagle transport, Just weighing my options

mje Thanks this.
  9. SavageSam

SavageSam Medium Load Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Hi, great thread here indeed! Does anyone know what Williams tank lines pays out of Stockton or Fresno?

mje Thanks this.
  10. dynosaur

dynosaur Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    SavageSam,

I don't know about Stockton or Fresno, but in Santa Clara they pay around $19/hr for the first 90-days, then over the next nine months your rate hits around $22/hr. So I'm sure the areas of your concern would also fall in that range. I have a friend who worked for them and he speaks very highly of them. They work a four-day on, three-off schedule. Good benefits, plenty of OT. I would strongly advise that given the opportunity DO NOT LET IT GET BY YOU!. I myself, am hoping to get on with them once I clear up some personal matters, in fact, of all companies, Williams Tank Lines is at the very top of my list. Good luck with them!

P.S. If you have little, or no, tanker experience, they will train you on tankers if you meet their hiring criteria. They haul, for the most part, gasoline to service stations and a lot of jet fuel to Air National Guard Bases. Most work is local, with an occasional overnight run.

SavageSam and mje Thank this.
  11. SavageSam

SavageSam Medium Load Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Thanks Dyno. They changed their schedule a bit, five on, two off, five on, three off now. $22.00/Hr sounds good to my ears.

mje Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.