Local fuel hauling jobs. Give it a try!!

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by lve2drv, Aug 17, 2008.

1. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Sometimes the better companies will hire because of who you know but yes you've got to be perfect in your record before they will even look at you. That's the way it was when I was hired in 1991 anyway.

In Las Vegas the drivers there had no resentment for Benito drivers in fact most felt it wasn't worth working there because you had to polish the truck everytime you stopped which was alot with the old CALNAV pipeline.

I don't think you'll find too many drivers at the majors with lack of attention. The bonus pay was just too great not to pat attention. Plus nobody wanted to loose what they had. I went out with only one contaim. and that was when I first started when I dropped 4400 gallons of leaded in the no lead tank. So I've been humbled too. But we had one driver that was so laid back you'd think he was asleep but he retired after 28 years with no spills, contaims, or accidents and he was always the first back to the rack even when I would go to a closer station.

I guess we all have stories about what drivers have done. The one out of Las Vegas was a driver for a common carrier that was loaded with diesel and got stuck up in a national forest in Utah and let 1000 gallons go on the ground to lightin his load. We he got back he disappeared and we never saw he again. We heard the Marshals were after him and we know the fine was well over $1,000,000 to the company.

I'm with you, It's been the greatest driving job I've ever had. I would never have an opportunity at any other company to retire early and go out with a lump sum and a bonus plus all the stocks I owned that the company help me buy.

mje Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jnizle

Jnizle Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Las Vegas, Nevada

Hi Gas Hauler im trying to get my foot in the door. I posted a thread about Las Vegas NV, Fuel haulers and you answered my question and I thank you for it. What compnay did you start with in Las Vegas and where did you retire from? I drove down to sloan and LV BLV. and checked some of the trucks out, and I am really getting intrested in hauling fuel. Not only for the pay..because starting out at some of these companies dont pay great. but ill be making the same amount I am out here on the road w/less expenses. But im intrested in your story seems like something to look foward too. One other thing about fuel hauling seems like I'd be home every nite w/my old lady and son!

mje Thanks this.
  4. GasHauler

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey

I started hauling triple trailers for Anderson and Son when I first got to Las Vegas. They were a LTL company and had nothing to do with gasoline. I had a very good connection with ARCO and I applied when I first got there and they kept my application for the next opening. It took 6 months and I was brought on as a casual driver. I didn't get my own shift until a year later. I was bounced around from nights to days to fill in when another driver went on vacation or whatever. I only had experience with fuel in the military and that was very limited. But I had drove just about every combination out there and like I said I had a very good connection.

ARCO pulled their trucks out of Las Vegas and offered early retirement to all the drivers or transfers to LA. Since I made some very good investments I could easily retire so I took it. The reason that ARCO pulled their trucks was because they lost a very big account (Herbst) and it was cheaper for the company to hire a common carrier to pull the rest of their loads.

When I start hauling gasoline you didn't have all the requirements that you have now. ARCO wanted 5 years IN TOWN tanker experience but that was their own requirement. They could do that since they are self-insured. I told a friend of mine to go out and check the companies and he had no tanker experience and he was hired by Texaco. He also was hauling LTL triple trailers. Really it's not that hard at all to pull tankers when you've pulled trips, doubles, and everything else out there. The companies want the experience but they can get around it if they choose to. You just have to be lucky and be at the company when they need a driver. Or know somebody.

The pay does seem low at some companies but you have to remember that the ones paying by the hour pay for all your time while at work. And in Las Vegas there was alot of down time because of old computers with the loading rack. They are the only one loading facility in town and they knew it. I did read where there is a new pipeline coming down from Salt Lake and plans to build another loading rack and when that's in place then everything will run like it should. Like our terminal down in L.A.. It's called the fastest rack in the west and will load a truck in a few minutes. You can load fast when you can load the truck and the trailer at the same time.

We were the best in town to work for because of pay and benefits. But now since we've left I'd say that Chevron is the best now. We ran real close to them but we got more OT than they did and that adds up.

Las Vegas is not that hard to run in but you've got to be ready for the heat and all the bad drivers there. I've been working when they had to close the airport because it was so hot the planes couldn't take off safetly, 120°. The gasoline trucks that go out of town mostly go north up I-15 into Utah. Those are good companies but you've got to know the boss. You might see a couple that head towards AZ through Laughlin. Just keep checking there and you might get lucky. Go find Jim Gentry and he can hook you up on what you should do. You can just about ask any local drivers there and they will know if he's still around.

mje Thanks this.
  5. dynosaur

dynosaur Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    Gashauler,

It's great that this thread has someone with your understanding and experience in tankers. While I have minimal experience (a total of about 2 years) I can say that, with a good driving record, and a couple of years experience driving, you'll find many companies willing to train you in tankers. Tankers hauling a single product (smooth-bore) are extremely simple to operate. You have in internal valve, external valve, and vent. Essentially, that's it. You get a routine, and stick to it. Also, get your tanker experience where you can. It's better, in my opinion, to haul products less volatile as gasoline, to start; and there are many, from milk to jet fuel (kerosene), so that you can learn to haul liquids. Hauling liquids are a world apart from vans, or any other freight, shifting, stopping, starting, curves, they all have characteristics you need to know and understand and mostly having to do with the wave action. For instance, in shifting thru the gears, you want to shift when the surge hits the rear of the tanker and then pin it there, let it flow forward and when you get ready to shift again, you pin it to the rear. It's actually fun, and as you get better at it(when you no longer get hammered by the surge), you feel pretty good about yourself. I don't want to say too much with Gashauler reading over my shoulder, but no other area of trucking gets me as pumped up as tankers, even though it's not been my primary focus in the past. Let me say though, that I am in the process of applying to Indian River Transport. It's not very good pay, it's OTR, and definately not a company anywhere near the caliber of ARCO or Shell. But it's a foot in the door, it's recent tanker experience, and it's a springboard to a job the likes of which we have spoken about on this thread, and that's where I find the true value of working for them. You do what you have to do; to get where you want to be.

Note: The opening of this post was directed to Gashauler in appreciation of his posts and advice, based on his extensive experience in this field. The rest was directed to those considering entering this field and the availability of companies willing to train. Thank you.

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  6. GasHauler

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    That's all I've hauled (gasoline) when it comes to liquids and my hats off to you with that smooth bore. They're much harder than a gasoline tanker. I had 5 compartments with baffles and bulkheads so there wasn't any surge. You just had to make sure your compartments was either vapor rich or full of product.

We had an account with Indian River and they would haul diesel for us when we needed them. We always contracted out the diesel, too dirty for us!. The real reason was the load went too far and it was cheaper for the company to use common carrier when the load was over 160 miles. I never got a chance to talk to any of their drivers but we had no problems as far as the work went.

You're right, tankers are fun but you've got to know what you're doing. To me that was the challenge and doing a better job than the day before. You've got a good plan for yourself and before you know it you'll have a great job. You already know to protect you'll record and now you just have to wait for an opening. Good luck and stay safe.

mje Thanks this.
  7. Madjack17

Madjack17 Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Roanoke, Texas
    Fuel is easy! Lots of compartments. No surge!

mje Thanks this.
  8. Madjack17

Madjack17 Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Roanoke, Texas
    By the way don't go to Gemini which is Loves!

mje Thanks this.
  9. jcroom76

jcroom76 Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Dallas,Tx
    Whats wrong with Gemini? Everything I have heard has been good.

mje Thanks this.
  10. antbr2314

antbr2314 Bobtail Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Roswell, Ga
    I would more info on the company perry works for. Thanks in advance

mje Thanks this.
  11. dscott0331

dscott0331 Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2007
    Ashland, Ky
    Can anyone tell some Petro Carriers/ Oil Companies in Florida (Jacksonville area ) I currently haul fuel in the Ashland Kentucky area. We have a Marathon refinery right here in back yard. Looking to move south in the coming year or two. Your help is greatly appreciated.

mje Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.